scammer using callsign VE2DO Larry Dobby

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WD8NPL, Oct 11, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. WD8NPL

WD8NPL Ham Member QRZ Page

Received an email from "Larry Dobby" VE2DO about a power supply I have for sale on qth.com. email address used was jowms98273@gmail.com. ip address comes back to Europe. No email address found for VE2DO in databases. Grammar used was poor....

Steve, WD8NPL

2. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

There are two ads on qth.com with no photos under that callsign. Have you tried contacting him through qth.com?

3. VE2DDZ

VE2DDZ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have apprised Larry VE2DO of the issue.

AJ4GQ likes this.
  4. KG5URA

KG5URA Ham Member QRZ Page

He tried to scam me for my AL-811HD last week offering more than I have it listed for but wanted to arrange for pick up by his transport and have me deduct the transport expenses and pay the driver I told him no way! He wouldn’t use PayPal. Both red flags! Didn’t hear back from him after that. His Callsign was Canadian. His email address is “jowms98273@gmail.com”!

5. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Argh, you should agreed and done the meet-up at the local police dept. Also have the driver bring cash to purchase it along with a valid passport.....

6. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Bravo! What is amazing is some folks fall for this kind of BS scamming! :(

7. KG5URA

KG5URA Ham Member QRZ Page

This guy wanted to pay with a cashiers check mailed and add money for shipment then have me pay the driver out of my pocket! I’m sure the check would have bounced after the pickup was made!

8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I doubt the driver would have shown up, there would have been some last minute excuse and a change to the terms.

He would have asked you to forward the overage to him and said he would pay the courier himself.

They don’t want merchandise, only cash.

9. KB2SUJ

KB2SUJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I have no doubt.
    I was talking jest to have the 'buyer' (who is probably the 'transports driver' in real life) bring loads of cash and keep his part for the transportation. He never would of showed up at one of the police department 'safe transaction' spots.
    All of these rid off artists use a similar scheme. Over paying and wanting you to keep some extra for your trouble and send the rest back, ideally in a money order of Visa gift card. The check they send always bounces. If you do get a check from this clowns, call the bank on the check, ask them to verify the account number matches the account name and the funds are good. Ask them to contact the send and confirm they really sent it to you.

10. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

VE2DO was last seen: Apr 1, 2013

Looks like this one is going to continue indefinitely.