ad: Snaptekk-1

Scammer posing as W4ALM

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by AJ4GQ, Oct 28, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

An enterprising fellow named Victor Oputa from Lagos responded to my post requesting information about an 857D for sale using a callsign where there was no email on the "seller's" QRZ callsign page. He offered a lower price and lifted the photos from a current eBay listing. He is using w4almowens@gmail.com and PayPal account Oputa.Victor@yahoo.com
    If someone knows the real W4ALM, please let him know what is happening and also ask him to post his public email and a disclaimer on his QRZ page.

KA2FIR likes this.
  2. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

I think some of these ads from accounts with no callsigns and questionable photos are just used as a sort of "honey pot" waiting for people to comment and then offer the commenter a better deal too good to be true. It's happened to me more than once. Did the op ever answer your questions?

3. AJ4GQ

The real W4ALM sent me an email, answered my questions, and we had an nice telephone conversation. I didn't buy his radio but he did add his email to his callsign page.

4. KA2FIR

Just looked up W4ALM and see no email address or disclaimer.

5. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

What? Someone from Nigeria trying to scam people? How could that happen?

6. AJ4GQ

Ooops, I got that wrong. My conversation was with W7BIT who ran the 857D ad. I've had no contact with the real W4ALM.

7. KA2FIR

W4ALM account is active on QRZ. You can try and reach out to W4ALM on QRZ since he doesn't have a email address.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  8. AJ4GQ

Not my job.

NY8T and KA2FIR like this.