Scammer posing as Eddie Wood W4OBW

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KJ4LZM, Dec 28, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KJ4LZM

KJ4LZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted a few "Equipment Wanted" posts here on QRZ and I was contacted last night and today via email by someone who said he is Eddie Wood, W4OBW, and that he had two of the three rigs I was looking for (Red Flag #1). When I asked for pictures, he sent me pics of pristine rigs with all the accessory units (Tuner, Speaker, separate VFO, etc) (Red Flag #2) He then offered to sell the stations for $500 SHIPPED and wanted my address (Red Flag #3). After I gave him my addy (the same listed in my QRZ profile, BTW) he said he uses Western Union and for me to send the money to a 3rd party in NY! (BIG Red Flag!) I was now convinced this was a scam attempt, so I looked up W4OBW's address here and checked it with White Pages and found a phone #. I called him and he, of course did not have, nor was selling the equipment that the scammer said he had. I sent him the email chain that the scammer and I had and the REAL Eddie Wood is going to contact the admins.

I just wanted to give you all a heads up to this scam so you will not be fooled out of your money.

Thanks to the admins for putting warnings up in the Stickies so we can be aware of such things.

73's
    Joe

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.