ad: PortRo-1

Scammer posing as AF4WH

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by OZ7AFH, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
  1. OZ7AFH

OZ7AFH Ham Member QRZ Page

I know QRZ is already aware, but a warning none the same:

I am looking for Yaesu DMU-2000 abroad (as they are not that common in Denmark). I was approached by mail by a guy presenting himself as Charles R Young.
    Dialogue went fine, he sent a few photos and terms for payment and shipping was agreed upon. This is then where things start getting interesting....

Initial contact was from af4wh.c@gmail.com
    First PayPal transfer was to charles00400@outlook.com (which points to an Ashlin Wills and was returned immediately - I guess it was because I chose the "business" option)
    Then he asked for transfer to his business mail ham4young360@outlook.com

Same second I did the last transfer, I remembered that QRZ has a scam-alert, and... the same call came up.

I blocked my transfer immediately and requested further proof of identity from this individual, but he has maintained "radio silence" ever since.

2. VE6AGE

VE6AGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I got scammed for $310.00 USD via Western Union. I never got the MFJ Loop Antenna.

charles r young / claudia gilbert is the names of the two scammers.

af4wh.c@gmail.com is also the email address he/she used.

Be careful who you deal with when wanting to buy certain ham radio stuff.

I lost what money I got for my birthday from my inlaws. And, that made me mad as hell as I'm a
    senior with a small pension and now I will never own that antenna because of lack of spare cash.

VE6AGE / Denis A. Gagnon

3. KC2SAH

KC2SAH Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted on swap.qth.com that I was interested in an 857D. I had Charles R Young reply to me from af4wh.c@gmail.com saying that he would sell his for $515 shipped, which was the best price I was offered. He sent pictures that looked legitimate. When I started the transaction, he agreed to receive PayPal but asked to receive it via "Family and Friends" so that he didn't have to pay any fees. He also sent a different email address to send the money to, Edjimmyso@gmail.com. When I attempted to send the money via PayPal, it said that I was converting USD to Canadian Dollars.

Between the different emails and the Canadian conversion, I felt a little uneasy, so I looked up his "call sign" on QRZ. Sure enough, the call sign is assigned to Charles R Young, Bradenton, FL, USA. Clearly not Canada. When I asked for clarification, he stopped replying to my emails.

Thankfully I hadn't sent any money his way, but I wanted to post this to help others save their own money. Avoid anyone by the name of Charles R Young, unless it is the Ham located down in Florida (and my sincere apologies to the real Mr. Young!).

Austin

P.S. here are the pictures he sent:

IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0429.jpg
    IMG_0430.jpg

IMG_0431.jpg

4. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page