Scammer posing as AF4WH

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by OZ7AFH, Aug 12, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-assoc
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. OZ7AFH

OZ7AFH Ham Member QRZ Page

I know QRZ is already aware, but a warning none the same:

I am looking for Yaesu DMU-2000 abroad (as they are not that common in Denmark). I was approached by mail by a guy presenting himself as Charles R Young.
    Dialogue went fine, he sent a few photos and terms for payment and shipping was agreed upon. This is then where things start getting interesting....

Initial contact was from
    First PayPal transfer was to (which points to an Ashlin Wills and was returned immediately - I guess it was because I chose the "business" option)
    Then he asked for transfer to his business mail

Same second I did the last transfer, I remembered that QRZ has a scam-alert, and... the same call came up.

I blocked my transfer immediately and requested further proof of identity from this individual, but he has maintained "radio silence" ever since.
  2. VE6AGE

VE6AGE Ham Member QRZ Page

I got scammed for $310.00 USD via Western Union. I never got the MFJ Loop Antenna.

charles r young / claudia gilbert is the names of the two scammers. is also the email address he/she used.

Be careful who you deal with when wanting to buy certain ham radio stuff.

I lost what money I got for my birthday from my inlaws. And, that made me mad as hell as I'm a
    senior with a small pension and now I will never own that antenna because of lack of spare cash.

VE6AGE / Denis A. Gagnon
  3. KC2SAH

KC2SAH Ham Member QRZ Page

I posted on that I was interested in an 857D. I had Charles R Young reply to me from saying that he would sell his for $515 shipped, which was the best price I was offered. He sent pictures that looked legitimate. When I started the transaction, he agreed to receive PayPal but asked to receive it via "Family and Friends" so that he didn't have to pay any fees. He also sent a different email address to send the money to, When I attempted to send the money via PayPal, it said that I was converting USD to Canadian Dollars.

Between the different emails and the Canadian conversion, I felt a little uneasy, so I looked up his "call sign" on QRZ. Sure enough, the call sign is assigned to Charles R Young, Bradenton, FL, USA. Clearly not Canada. When I asked for clarification, he stopped replying to my emails.

Thankfully I hadn't sent any money his way, but I wanted to post this to help others save their own money. Avoid anyone by the name of Charles R Young, unless it is the Ham located down in Florida (and my sincere apologies to the real Mr. Young!).

P.S. here are the pictures he sent:

4. KR6AUL

KR6AUL XML Subscriber QRZ Page