Scammer Alert

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KS4YX, Jul 24, 2019.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. KS4YX

KS4YX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I was just contacted by someone wanting to purchase my KX3 who had no legitimate call and wanted to send me more than my asking price. The email contained unusual English and punctuation, plus the call sign was a mix of the Alaska prefix and two numbers. Be aware of call signs. The earlier post about the eagerness to sell and buy Elecraft equipment is spot on.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2019
  2. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Details?

3. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to help, as Mike said, post the details!

Callsigns, email addresses, names, etc

Don't think for a second that these scumbags deserve any identity protection.

KA2FIR likes this.
  4. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

For YOURSELF, you know it's a scam. Move along and ignore any future messages.

But for the COMMUNITY, please post the details so others can be made aware

Dave
    W7UUU

KA2FIR likes this.
  5. KS4YX

Okay, here goes: Fake call was KL81M. When written in the text form, if I had not looked closely, the 1 could easily be taken for an I. There is no such call, even with the 1 replaced with an I. The name used was James Bright. In a follow-up email, when I questioned the call, James states that his call is newly issued and that it will not be listed on the call sign database until the end of the month. The email address is jsbht10009@gamil.com.
    Another unusual thing was, the he offered to send more money than I was asking - $50, and that he would personally arrange for shipping! Who would do something like that?
    Beware of this combination of email and call sign. I hope this helps others to not be scammed.
    Now, I feel as if my ad has been set-back, and the wait for a potential buyer has set back for a long period of time. Hopefully, someone will pick up on it soon.

Gil - KS4YX

WR2E likes this.
  6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks Gil.

I think that's a typo in the email address though, should be

jsbht10009@gmail.com ?

That's a well known scam. They send a cashier check for more than you ask for, you deposit check, take out the excess and send it to them. Later, the bank returns the check as a forgery, and you are out the money.

They probably don't want the radio in fact. Once they get your cash, you don't hear from them again.

Last edited: Jul 25, 2019
  7. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't forget to report the email by forwarding it in source form to abuse@gmail.com.

8. KS4YX

Email address sent to the abuse forum at Gmail. For the life of me, I do not see any difference in the post, where I show the email address I have, and the post from WR2E thinking there is a typo. What am I missing?

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

The one you posted says @ G A M I L . com

I presumed that was a typo and that you meant @ G M A I L . com

KA2FIR, KS4YX and AJ4GQ like this.
  10. W5HEX

W5HEX Ham Member QRZ Page

He tried to get me too on a Kenwood TS-590SG I have for sale. His IP if it wasn't fake too was in Hungary. He's been emailing me the past few days here is his original email with his fake call KL81M:

Name: James Bright
    Callsign: KL81M
    E-mail: jsbht10009@gmail.com
    IP Address: 185.189.114.167 -- (Check IP at https://whatismyipaddress.com/ip/185.189.114.167)

The response is:

Hope the item is still available

--------------------------------------------------------
    For your reference, here is a copy of the ad you are responding to:

Listing Number: 1448715
    Date Ad was Placed: 07/21/19
    Name: Terry Coleman
    Phone Number: E-MAIL ONLY
    Callsign: W5HEX
    Category: RADIOHF
    Heading: For Sale Kenwood TS-590SG
    Ad Message:
    For sale....Kenwood TS-590Sg purchased late October 2017 for a Christmas present. It was first used Christmas Day 2017. It has seen lite usage and is in excellent like new condition. From a smoke free home. THIS IS LOCAL PICKUP ..CASH ONLY. Price is $875.00 Located in Bandera County about 30 minutes NW of San Antonio. I have all the boxes, manual, stock mic and power cable. NO TRADES. CASH ONLY. Email good on QRZ. No Shipping. Local Pickup Only.