Scammer Alert (KI7UBZ)

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by AD8BU, Sep 29, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. AD8BU

AD8BU Ham Member QRZ Page

I just wanted to pass on that it appears that a scammer is using the identity of Scott Gallo, KI7UBZ.

I have a want ad posted here, and got a reply straight to my inbox about it. The grammar was OK, but the text formatting was fishy and what was said abut the unit was fishy. The model number appeared to be copied and pasted, and it was described as "fully working." I sent a reply asking for more information about the radio I am looking for but have not heard back yet. A quick DuckDuckGo search shows this announcement warning about this person on another page posted recently:

https://swap.qth.com/contact.php?counter=1457916

I did an IP lookup on the IP address in the header of the email and it appears to be located in either CT or the Netherlands (different databases gave different results). It also appears to be an IP address for Google Fiber, which is not located in Scott's home state at all. That being said, this could be a bit of a red herring as he is using a Gmail address.

If I get any more relevant info out of the conversation, I will upload it here.

KM4FVI likes this.
  2. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

KI7UBZ is an unmanaged account here on QRZ and has never been active on the forums.
    Since you didn't post your contact info in your wanted ad, that account may be compromised and being used by a scammer to message QRZ users through the messaging system or profile emails. H0pefully the staff will see this and look into it so the account can be locked down if that is the case.

KA2FIR, N0TZU and AD8BU like this.
  3. AD8BU

Update: I got him to send pictures. The pictures he used were lifted from the Internet and I was able to use a Google Search to find the un-cropped originals that show someone else's call sign (he cropped the other call sign out of the picture).

Scammer confirmed.

I replied asking for pics taken by him of the rig he has. Let's see how creative he gets. :D

4. AD8BU

I also noticed that call hadn't been active on here either. I was contacted over email and not on the forum. I don't know if the account here is compromised, or if he tracked down my email with a Google search.

5. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

Was it your QRZ profile email, and if so is that one available anywhere else?
    Either way there's a good chance the account is compromised, presumably no 2FA since it isn't managed.

6. AD8BU

Yes, there are a few places that have leaked my email address. I just double-checked with a Google search and it appears that all the results are very old. Some of them I don't even remember ever posting at. None of them tie it to my call sign or that I have an interest in the TS-811A.

7. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

The scammers can be using any compromised account to scrape email addresses. KI7UBZ is unmanaged so it can't be that account. What email address are the scammers using? Did you report it to abuse@.......?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2019
  8. AD8BU

The emails came from ki7ubz@gmail.com.

I have not received a reply since I called him out on stealing someone else's pictures.

I will report the account to Google.

KA2FIR likes this.
  9. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bet my last dollar it is not the real Scott @KI7UBZ that is guilty.

10. WB0MPB

WB0MPB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I bet my last dollar it is not the real Scott @KI7UBZ that is guilty.