ad: w5yi

Scammer alert - hijacked call sign of N7MSR

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by VE3VTG, Oct 5, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

report it to abuse@me.com

2. W7UUU

W7UUU Super Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

No. We use "circumstantial evidence" once a scammer starts using any given call sign.

MOST "hacked" accounts the owners just gave away their login credentials to the crook via a phishing scheme.

REMINDER: If you ever get an email saying it's from QRZ and "We need to verify your account" or any other such phrase, asking for your user name and password, IT'S A SCAM!!! QRZ WILL NEVER EVER ask you for your credentials via email. No matter how official or "proper" such an email might look - it's a SCAM. Period.

Dave
    W7UUU

VE3VTG and KA2FIR like this.
  3. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I strongly encourage The Zed to make the sales forums INACCESSIBLE/non-viewable to the general public and only available to registered users.

KP4SX, KD8DEY, VE3VTG and 1 other person like this.
  4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I would agree, but there's still a problem.

This crime ring obviously has 'moles' that ARE registered users. I believe the evidence is clear on that!

KA2FIR likes this.
  5. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

Whack-a-Mole!

[​IMG]

VE3VTG likes this.
  6. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Enzo did the scammer post a supposed link to PayPal for you to click and log in to your account? I am thinking maybe he is phishing? Of course we all know if he did add such a link the page that comes up would be a fake PayPal account just to get your password etc.

KA2FIR likes this.
  7. VE3VTG

VE3VTG Subscriber QRZ Page

No! So it went like this. I was selling an English straight key, He emails me and says he wants it and will send the money in the morning because he was going to bed. Fine!
    The next day it was a Simon & Garfunkel moment. :)
    So I emailed him and no reply after 10-12 days he sends me an email that shows a bunch of emails he supposedly sent to me. (Not TRUE) I had not heard from him until today. I'm not an educated man, but if I was to take a guess. I think there trying to capitalize on our wonderful society we live in. Always being in a hurry and going nowhere fast, Creating people to second doubt themselves I think is there main goal.
    So I guess he thought I would be to busy in my life and maybe I made a mistake and instead of checking things out, I would just pay and solve the problem.
    de ve3vtg

KA2FIR likes this.
  8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Just out of curiosity, how much money we talking about?

Hard to believe he's going to all this trouble for basically what amounts to 'small change'!

9. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like the key sold for $99.

VE3VTG likes this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

$99 is a lot of money in some places.

W7UUU likes this.