Scammed!!!

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by WB2IOL, Apr 13, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-3
  1. WB0MPB

WB0MPB Ham Member QRZ Page

You know there are just to many that can't understand what F&F is for. I know it is hard to protect people from themselves but what I am going to try to say is just brain storming.
    When I go to the doctor I always have to sign a paper saying I understand everything that is going on and everything I am suppose to do.

Is there some way to make it on QRZ that to be able to use the sale ads or just QRZ in general, that they must have something on file digitally signed that they understand the TOS of F&F? It seems to be a major problem on here. I hate seeing so many people getting cheated out of sometimes thousands of dollars because they have no clue about F&F. (Maybe I should not feel so bad for them if they are willing to do that but I do). So what I suggest might be a very big job for QRZ if not impossible but I had to throw it out. Somehow people HAVE to learn about how to use F&F. I feel bad that the OP lost $2000.00 but if he had been somehow been made to understand F&F he would not have lost it.
    Well that is just a thought.

2. KT1F

KT1F Ham Member QRZ Page

It's a little ambiguous. This seems very clear that "guest checkout transactions" are not protected.
    https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/ua/useragreement-full#purchase-protection

But then this suggests that you can sign up after a guest checkout and file a dispute
    https://www.paypal.com/au/smarthelp...fore-signing-up.-can-i-open-a-dispute-faq2269

This suggests that you can but it's more difficult.
    https://www.paypal-community.com/t5...chive/Filing-a-dispute-as-a-guest/td-p/388316

I always use my PayPal account because it has my credit card stored. Why would I want to go to the hassle of typing in the number each time? If the answer is "PayPal might get hacked and someone steal the card info" then … yeah … so could anywhere else you use the card.

3. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Listing on 1 site only would help catch the scammer. ;)

The scammer was most likely not using QRZ only.

Good Luck.

4. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Our moderators police this subject on a daily basis and its rare that an ad asking for F&F lasts more than a few hours, give or take.

Speaking for myself, I basically won't tolerate anyone who attempts to ask for Friends & Family payments, because it's wrong.

K7MH, KG5THG, N1VAU and 1 other person like this.
  5. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member #133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

It's very important to understand that IN THIS CASE, the person scammed had posted a WANT TO BUY ad. [I have the links to his original WTB ads, from QRZ, QTH, and eHam he sent me via PM Fred if you'd like to see them - but the OP can provide them as well, as he did to me if you just ask].

That's where, I'm pretty sure, a LOT of the scamming happens - you post a want-to-buy for a spendy item and the scammers have a field day.

IMO demand of anyone responding to a WTB ad by asking for photographs of the actual call sign of the person offering to sell, not photoshopped, with the item clearly and plainly shown. I would bet that nearly 100% of such scams would be thwarted if the WTB poster asked for this simple security check. Well, that and DO NOT use F&F to pay!

Dave
    W7UUU

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
    N1VAU likes this.
  6. VA3VF

VA3VF Ham Member QRZ Page

Thank you for the research and links. It's appreciated.

I do the same, the only difference is that I have a dedicated credit card just for general online transactions. This credit card has the minimum credit the bank would agree to. So, even if there is fraud, and the credit card company does not protect me, I'm out a 'small' amount only.

A healthy dose of paranoia won't hurt you.;)

Last edited: Apr 14, 2019
  7. K8XG

K8XG XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Yes that works well. I inquired about a DMU-2000 being sold if it had the internal card for the FT-2000 radio. He did not have it.
    Immediately I get an email to my QRZ address with a Stock photo of a ft-2000 with DMU and the scammer said he had one and would sell it all to me for $600. That price is way too low when it included the ft-2000 as well. I asked for a photo with the call sign on a card and a news paper showing the current date.

Guess what? No followup by the seller...er I mean scammer ;)

W7UUU likes this.
  8. KC9ZGY

KC9ZGY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

9. KC9ZGY

KC9ZGY Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks to your post you made me aware of this Scammer. He tried to sell me something. He was taking pictures off eBay like he had the item. Sorry to hear you lost money.

Scott
    KC9ZGY

10. WA2FSO

WA2FSO Ham Member QRZ Page

this person tried to scam me using pay pal, I call PAY Pal to verify the pap pal address, reached somebody in the US office, and he advised not to procced with the party, i call about another person who turned out to be a scammer, got Pay Pal overseas help, and she refused to verify or not verify this person,