Scammed? Need advice please

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KE0EP, Aug 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. WB6JHI

WB6JHI Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

That's what PayPal does, had you used it. You freely chose not to avail yourself of the well-established buyer protections PP offers, yet you somehow now want QRZ or its forum to help your recoup something?

WB4IVF likes this.
  2. WB4IVF

WB4IVF Ham Member QRZ Page

You’ve actually gotten some pretty good advice here. Also, if you are repeatedly being victimized and losing large sums that you can’t afford to lose as you say, you might consider letting a family member control your checkbook or getting some professional financial counseling. Moving from one site to another to do your online wheeling and dealing (and you seem to do a lot!) is not going to solve your problem. You need better control of your online transactions.

AJ4GQ, NN4RH and KA2FIR like this.
  3. W1TRY

W1TRY XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Buy new.

KA2FIR and WB4IVF like this.
  4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

Some radios can not be bought new.

If you do buy a older radio, Expect to be able to repair it. If you can not repair it, Do not buy it. ;)

Normally broken radios are the best bang for the buck, Unless someone that had no clue screwed it up beyond repair.

Sometimes you have to get screwed good, To get a taste of what it is like. :rolleyes:

Many times, In the long run it is worth the lesson. :)

Live and learn...

W1TRY likes this.
  5. AH7I

AH7I Ham Member QRZ Page

ADVICE.

Buy local or from a friend who is also a fan of vintage gear.

You did not say if broken in or prior to, shipment. Lots of guys don't have a clue how to pack. It's often good to have gear dropped off at a UPS pack and ship and take over shipping. Tell the pack and ship how you want it packed and ship it to yourself.

If there is a problem, work with the guy. It's a PITA to deal with damaged shipments and takes a lot of time and patience.

Flying off the handle and calling the folks at the shipping company crooks will put a claim in "Fred's" basket. Fred will be the guy who retired 10 years ago. If the guy you bought from appears to lack the temper to deal with a shipping claim... ask him to assign the claim to you.

6. KE0EP

KE0EP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Never implied QRZ should reimburse me
    Never blamed, shamed or bullied anyone
    Wanted to know if there's anything I can do about this one burn--pretty simple question
    Don't need advice on seeing counselors, etc. but thanks for that
    Have done many, many transactions without problems, PayPal 99% of the time
    Don't recall reading warning about sending checks--used to all the time years ago--this was the first and last time I send a check
    Don't recall seeing warning such as: "If you don't use PayPal Goods and Services, you are at risk of losing your money!"
    Lots of scammers preying on QRZ posters--I'm most certainly not alone--read the forum
    Large percentage of posts on QRZ refuse PayPal--this should be against the rules

Thanks to those who made comments in a helpful and respectful manner

7. WR1O

WR1O Ham Member QRZ Page

I just spent a week negotiating in good faith for a for sale add here, don't bother looking as I used email for communication. We finally agreed on a price and asked for the PP address. Was told he didn't do PP, flag number one, I told him it was PP or nothing, he replied a day later and said he was able to access his old PP account so I sent the money to his email address in his profile here on QRZ, this was a verified member. After i sent the money the next day he informed me that it was not the correct PP email and send it to a different PP address, flag number two. I was NOT using friends and family so I really wasn't concerned. I was able to cancel the first transaction and sent it to the second email address he provided. I immediately received three mails from PP warning e of suspicious activity and that I may be dealing with a scammer. Again, I was ot using F&F so I was not too concerned. I then get a phone call as I had given him my cell and asked him to call me several times but it wasn't until he could not withdraw the money until I received the radio that I got a call. He said there was a "hold" on the money until I received the radio. I see no problem with this, I believe this is how PP works, he wanted a check or a MO. I said no and if he could not abide by PP rules the deal was off. He had no problem with that and refunded my money as he could not get access to it.

Now this guy could have been totally legit, I'm not accusing him of anything and I will not identify him and there is no way for anyone to find out as we used email. To make an already long story even longer I got my money back and said it was PP or no way. Plain and simple. The next day I found a much nicer radio for a much better deal and everything went off without a hitch so I am actually happy with the way it turned out. Was he legit or a scammer, I will never know but t wasn't worth a thousand dollars to take a chance. PP or no sale, you don't like it sell it to someone else, not my problem.

SORRY FOR THE LONG POST BUT IT IF SAVES ONE PERSON FROM BEING RIPPED OFF IT WILL BE WORTH MY TIME TO TYPE IT.

KJ4VTH likes this.
  8. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Possible, but I don’t think you would be out of line in asking a moderator to look into his account to be certain it hasn’t been somehow compromised.

They’ll keep it private so you won’t be ‘outing’ someone that doesn’t deserve it.

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't use PayPal for anything, and likely never would.

However my semi-neighbor Elon Musk made a lot of money with that, and the money he made helped him create Tesla Motors and stuff.

I say "semi-neighbor" because he lives in Bel-Air, only 15 miles from here, but I don't live there.:p

For buying used ham gear (or even selling it), I deal only locally. If I can't go see it and pick it up, I'm not interested.:)

10. KE0EP

KE0EP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Here's some advice for you: Learn to read.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.