Scammed? Need advice please

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by KE0EP, Aug 24, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KE0EP

KE0EP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Funny we used refer to it as Children’s Band. Ironic, ain’t it, good buddy?

2. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Which is exactly why a lot of C.B. ops with true electronics knowdedge / talent didn't go for their tickets Because of the holier than thou, anally retensives that dominated the hobby...
    Just because somebody memorised a test...

How many Ham ops don't know how to figure out mic wiring, and come on here for assistance?..or have never tried to solder anything? even a PL-259 connector (Appliance Ops) . It would seem that a lot more C.B. Ops back then had more hands on experience than a lot of todays hams.
    C.B is dead, so It's a moot point.

BTW
    If you have been ripped of as many times as you claim, and haven't learned yet, I would stick to Flea MARKETS 10-4?

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
    AG5CK, W1TRY and WB4IVF like this.
  3. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, buying things sight unseen and paying cash in the bargain seems a bit foolish. I think most folks would agree on that.

In my professional life I am seeing this more and more often in these days of eBay, Craigslist and all those other fly-by-night sales and swap websites. since I have been working at my current employer as a field engineer for quite some time and I am inheriting a lot of what we laughingly call "legacy machines". IOW, machines that are obsolete and no longer supported by my employer, the original manufacturer. I look at some of these problem children that some one has bought sight unseen and had shipped across country as "project machines" these are machines that always take more time and money than they are worth to repair.

Just recently, we had a project machine show up here. Customer only called us in to look at their new machine after their "tech" had a chance to ruin it. I told them flat out that the machine was not economically repairable. They insisted on a try at least. I agreed but again warned them. Did they listen?

No...

Only after a couple of visits and thousands of dollars in expenses had gone into the repair attempt, did I get the machine in a semi-working state. Only to find the one fatal flaw that was going to cost 5 figures just in parts to repair. I called a halt at that time, and their reaction to that was kind of like the OP's response here. They thought that my company should reimburse them (at least partially) for their mistake. Needless to say we are not interested.

Funny thing: if they had simply called us first, we could have hooked them up with a new system, fully warrantied, installed, trained their people and still been under the cost that they had already thrown down the rat hole...

Moral: ? Never mind, I think we all know the moral of this story...

WB4IVF and KD8DEY like this.
  4. AA7BQ

AA7BQ QRZ Founder Administrator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Whoa there. The purpose of this forum is to provide a means by which people may share stories of scams, ripoffs, and other problems associated with buying and selling online. We've made it abundantly clear that all deals are between the buyer and seller, and that QRZ is held harmless from all disputes and disagreements that take place between the private parties that gather on our site. We don't guarantee the performance of any seller or frankly, their honesty either.

This post started out as an advice plea, and somehow devolved into a criticism of how these forums are run. You asked "what can I do", and the answer is an unequivocal "not much" given the way in which you sent payment. Those are the pitfalls. Why on earth would you continue to deal with a seller who refused to accept PayPal? It really was your only hope of a remedy in case of failure. Were you so intent on acquiring the piece that you decided to forego common sense?

We're sorry that you were disappointed with your transaction. Our condolences are all that we have to offer.

73, -fred

KA2CZU, NN4RH, N0TZU and 9 others like this.
  5. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

When did QRZ start charging to buy, sell or trade ? I missed that memo.

Looks like you got a good deal, And if a shipping damage claim can not be filed, You have the choice to just repair the damage and hope for a partial refund.

It looks like another website was involved, And expecting QRZ to be responsible, Is like asking your Spouse to forgive you for two timing. o_O

Good Luck.

WB4IVF, N0TZU and N3AB like this.
  6. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Make the 4th purchase new instead of used.

W1TRY and WB4IVF like this.
  7. KE0EP

KE0EP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Does QRZ encourage users to pay for "subscriptions" in order to access certain services? Yes.

I paid $29.95 for a 12 month subscription (cheapest option) because I was using the "buy-sell" forums in which I bought and sold many items, most of which worked out fine, thinking that supporting QRZ was the right thing to do. Unfortunately, I was ripped off a few times by other paying customers using the QRZ system. Apparently, this kind of scam is permissible according to the disclaimers and user agreement at QRZ. The member who ripped me off has probably not even been approached, let alone warned or banned from QRZ. Right? Don't want to piss off the Premium subscribers now, do we?

Years ago, hams would rarely rip each other off and there was no PayPal. We sent MOs and checks (usually certified). Period. Things may have changed somewhat, yet many QRZ users continue to require MOs or checks (also acceptable according to the rules), as they do not trust PayPal or do not want to bother with the associated fees. I don't trust PayPal either--sleazy eBay company.

I am guilty of trusting my fellow ham, as I used to years ago, and chose to pay this rare instance with a check. I prefer PayPal and did request it, but fell back into trusting a fellow ham--my bad. Apparently, the deal is: no checks, no money orders, no cash, no PayPal Friends and Family, no Western Union, no clam shells, no gold bullion, etc. Yet methods of payment other than PayPal Goods or Services are demanded regularly on QRZ. Why not make PayPal Goods and Services the only acceptable method of payment since this is the only protection QRZ can offer its customers? How about accepting some accountability for system misuse as professional entities such as eBay, Reverb, PayPal, Amazon, etc. do? Too expensive?

So, let suckers like me take a bath for a couple of grand instead and then blame it on us while pointing to the fine print in the disclaimer text file. Let's face it, scamming frequency is WAY UP on these "free" online ham radio swap forums. Search around for posts about scams--see any? I'm pretty careful, but not perfect. Maybe I mistakenly trust people with a callsign because that's the way I was taught to think. Again, I accept the responsibility for trusting other hams and won't make that mistake again.

But what is most shocking to me are the responses I got from other users as well as QRZ admins, founders, etc. when I posted in the "Scams Forum" looking for advice on what I might do in this situation. I was told to "Lick my wounds and move on." $975 may be what some guys pay for dinner but it's a lot of money for me. And really, snidely comments, insults, finger pointing, etc. when all I did was ask for help on the "Scams Forum" of the website I was scammed on? I wasn't blaming QRZ or the folks who work there, was I? I didn't ask for "The Zed to reimburse me," did I? Just looking to recoup from a big hit and turned to my fellow hams for assistance--again, I won't make that mistake again either. Come on, why not say something along the lines of, "We're sorry for what happened and will do our best to remedy the situation." Or, "Unfortunately, unless you use PayPal goods and Services, you will be ripped-off when using QRZ's Swapmeet feature--sorry." FYI: Scott from QTH responded appropriately and rapidly when a deal went sour over there. He was helpful, polite and resolved the situation effectively and responsibly--like the hams I remember from way back when.

Your organization might consider foregoing the defensive, accusing and demeaning tone and consider:

Better Customer Service Etiquette
    Providing protection to customers
    Helping a fellow ham and paying subscriber instead of kicking them when they're down
    Behaving in a courteous and considerate manner to customers who suffer significant damages using QRZ
    Apologizing for the scam and the BS that was slung when I merely asked "friends" for advice following a reaming

I'll stick with Scott's QTH website for now as I can't afford to continue supporting crooked QRZ subscribers financially.

And I wouldn't say "no" to a refund of my subscription.

$1004.95 is more than just the $975 for the piece of crap rig.

73, Elan

8. KJ4VTH

KJ4VTH Ham Member QRZ Page

CAUTION - BEWARE OF SCAMS

CAUTION - posting WANTED ads for high-value items will likely solicit scammers!

NEVER PAY WITH CASH, MONEY ORDER, or PayPal FRIENDS AND FAMILY!

WB4IVF and KA2FIR like this.
  9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

The Definition of Insanity is to do the same thing over, and over again, and expect a different outcome each time

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2019
    AJ4GQ, KA2FIR, N0TZU and 1 other person like this.
  10. N0TZU

N0TZU Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Wow.o_O

Bye Bye, and don’t forget to write - NOT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.