Scammed by call sign W3PWX

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W6GYV, Mar 8, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. W6GYV

W6GYV Ham Member QRZ Page

W3PWX listed a For Sale MFJ 259C on 13 Jan 2017 (and still currently listed).
    I paid thru Paypal, Friends and Family (lesson learned with that method).
    Seller claimed payment received and mailed out using a Paypal shipping label.
    4 weeks later, no item received. Numerous emails sent to seller.
    Seller replies several days later, if at all.

I emailed the seller and indicated I was going to notify QRZ and Paypal.
    BAMM!! Immediate reply!
    Seller provides "Song and Dance" typical excuses.
    End result, 7 weeks later, no item received.

2. K0EED

K0EED XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Why with all the scams and these threads of people getting burned using the "Friends and Family" through paypal do people continue to use that? I just don't get it. Sorry you got ripped off but man people need to use a little common sense and also do their due diligence when sending money. Friends and Family should never ever ever be used when buying anything!!

AC0TX, WB0MPB, WD8T and 2 others like this.
  3. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Where was it listed?

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

Scammed yourself you did!

WB0MPB likes this.
  5. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Greed,
    People trying to save a couple bucks on Paypal fees, then say W0ABC scammed me when it was probably 99.99% certain it was an imposter. Then a Good Ham gets Besmirched...
    Probably even used the typical W3PWXAUSTIN@Gmail.com or some variant such as AustinW3PWX@gmail.com...
    I would think that the majority of hams would just use their call...
    What E-mail address did you use?
    was it the one on the Zed Bio page?
    'countryfyde@gmail.com'

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
    WB4IVF likes this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU QRZ Lifetime Member Number 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

ANYONE paying via "Friends and Family" has no one but themselves to blame if they get scammed. Using "goods and services" Paypal will bend over backwards to protect a buyer (never for a seller) - just like eBay and Amazon, on Paypal the real customer is the one sending the funds - they make their money on the fees the seller pays, and an unhappy buyer has SIX MONTHS to complain about just about anything and still receive a refund, and the seller pays return shipping just like Amazon. Sellers fund their system, and buyers get uber-protection so they will buy more stuff using Paypal. It's very simple.

But the moment you agree to "Friends and Family" you are no longer protected because Paypal RECEIVES NO FEES FOR THAT.

Sorry but you walked right into the scam and you have zero recourse. Dust your wounds and move along.

Dave
    W7UUU

K3XR and WB4IVF like this.
  7. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Did you do any research on the seller's callsign or name and his prior call sign before sending money? Google and QRZ are your friends.

8. AJ4GQ

AJ4GQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Everything points to the real W3PWX.
    Apparently he removed that email from his bio page early this afternoon. There is another publicly available email for him: AyersPrintShop@gmail.com
    Perhaps W3PWX would like to chime in and defend himself since we know he's seen these posts.

9. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Ham Member QRZ Page

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  10. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't be so quick to judge... if a scammer took my call sign and I suddenly got barraged with hundreds of hateful emails, I would probably remove mine too!

I did search this site and no 'bad' stuff turned up on him, there was at least one 'good' review.