ad: ProAudio-1

Scam ? Curtis Bisesi - Wanted my qrz log in passwords

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by W7JOE, Mar 24, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. W7JOE

W7JOE Ham Member QRZ Page

BEWARE !!!
    Got email from, Curtis J Bisesi hdisme455@gmail.com
    Was contacted about my IC-7600 I have for sale. email seemed odd to me,
    Didn't really make sense. Then was sent a email with a link to open saying,
    this is what I want.
    --------------

hdisme455@gmail.com
    Mar 23 (1 day ago)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    To: me / W7Joe
    [​IMG]
    Hi ,
    Here is an attached photo of what i want .
    http://qrzlogins.nut.xxxxxx/Login by QRZ.COM.htm
    ----------------------

WARNING ! Do Not Log In to this Link !!!

----
    When I clicked on the link, it wanted me to log in to qrz again...
    He also asked me for mailing address, contact info and PayPal account data.
    Once I seen that the link asked me for my qrz log in password, I didn't go any further.
    He doesn't reply to any of my emails. ( VERY STRANGE )
    73' Joe R. / W7Joe

Last edited: Mar 24, 2017
  2. KU4L

KU4L Ham Member QRZ Page

I got the same email from the same person who was interested in a radio I was selling on QTH classifieds. Thanks for the heads up, I googled this link and this came up so I know it was a scam. Thanks

3. VA3EE

VA3EE Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks a lot guys got a email from him too yesterday wanting to buy some gear off of me, your right the emails did not seem right.
    I told him to send me his number to verify but have not and probably will not hear back from him.
    I did look the call up and it is a valid call but with the contacts and his bio page what I was selling did not make sense to me.
    I also noticed that Curtis does not have a email in his bio which makes him a easy target like I was.
    I had my call hacked some time back and I know what a big pain in the butt it can be.
    Cheers VE3GNX/ VA3EE

4. W4UDX

W4UDX Ham Member QRZ Page

I listed a want ad on another ham radio website. This person responded to my ad and gave a description of what I was looking for. He had the above email address. I sent him money by PayPal to curtis.bisesi@aol.com. After about 12 hours the money was excepted but it was accepted by Bradley Jarrett and the email address was radioman_fa@hotmail.com. What's really weird is Paypal, before they would finish my transaction, ask for the sellers name and location. I entered Curtis Bisesi, in the USA, and they still processed it? PayPal is all about making money for themselves, even it it comes from scammers. I am beginning to believe that all people are just evil. God help us....

5. W4AOK

W4AOK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I just had the same email from the same guy (4/7/2017). He is still active on here!
    KI4EU

6. KW4EK

KW4EK Ham Member QRZ Page

So long as you did not use the "Friends and Family" option to pay the other party then you should be able to obtain a refund from PayPal if the transaction was a scam. Never use the "Friends and Family" payment option unless they truly are such and you trust them implicitly because in doing so you give up all rights to a refund if scammed. That is the price of effectively cutting PayPal out of the transaction as they receive no cut in such Friends and Family transactions...the 2-3% cut they would ordinarily charge includes protecting you from scams provided you promptly report such...they can not reasonably assume the liability on free funds transfers (plus, when making a Friends and Family transaction, you have effectively vouched for the legitimacy of the other party). That is why there are so many warnings online about using this feature for goods payment just to cut PayPal out of their normal transaction fee (which comes out of the seller's side). But if you did a regular goods payment (and good on you if you did) via a PayPal then please go get your refund and report the scam immediately to protect your interests as you should be covered.

But anyone who logged in with the embedded email link should immediately change their QRZ login password as the URL included in the email was used to capture the member's login credentials (phishing) so that they can use your credentials to forge future scams and convince future victims that the party they are dealing with is yourself (and, thus, that you are their scammer). Also check that your profile, bio, and email address have not been altered to facilitate such scams. There is no level too low for these scammers to stoop to I'm afraid.

7. W4UDX

W4UDX Ham Member QRZ Page

Update: I received a message from PayPal that a refund is pending. When I went to the resolution center, it showed the "seller" as being Bradley Jarrett, but the contact info was shown as "garryw9whf@aol.com". So is the scammer a non-ham named Bradley Jarrett? or is that a name that Garry, W9WHF is using to scam people? Eventually this guy is going to get himself in a lot of trouble......

8. KN7S

KN7S Swapmeet Moderator Emeritus Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

W9WHF's QRZ account is fine. I believe you can rest assured that this is a non-Ham using e-mail to masquerade as W9WHF.

9. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

No, the scammers are actually smart enough not to use any real names, and it's probably not an individual but rather a ring of multiple thieves at work... Possibly russians.

10. W6FYK

W6FYK Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave KN7S you are a great moderator.
    We thank you.

N0TZU, W5BIB and KC8VWM like this.