SCAM ALERT - SCAMMED THIS WEEK FOR $700 via QRZ.com Swap

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by AK6OK, Jan 19, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
  1. AK6OK

AK6OK Ham Member QRZ Page

I recently posted a want for a SteppIR antenna on this forum and received a response from an individual using a valid callsign, and using an email of that callsign@gmail.com. He advised that he had exactly the antenna I wanted and he would ship from his QTH (Mississippi in this case) - I asked for his phone number and he sent me a (503) area code number even though he was supposedly in Mississippi (Which he never answered). I wired the $700 to a US account (supposedly his wife's account) and via the gmail email account, he kept advising that the funds were not received. I finally called his bank 3 days later and they advised that the funds were in the account the day I wired them. I notified him at the gmail address that the funds were in the account and he advised that his wife would ship the antenna that day. This was a week ago and now he has disappeared.

This morning, I received a text message from the same 503 number advising another ham that he had the Yaesu 875, Yaesu FT30, and LDG Autotuner set aside and it was ready to ship to Houston Texas and he was advising someone to call him to confirm. I called the number and it was someone in India and he asked if I was calling about the radio for sale. I asked him when my antenna was going to be shipped and he said "tomorrow". I asked him what state it was shipping from and he advised, "where my QTH is". When I pressed him about this he hung up.

This gentleman is obviously stealing identities of hams, and convincing potential buyers of ham gear that he is a ham here in the states. Don't ever wire funds to anyone for a purchase unless you know them personally. There is no protection using a wire and obviously this scam continues. If you are paying for a Yaesu 875, Yaesu FT30, and LDG Autotuner, and you are in Houston Texas, it is a SCAM and don't send the funds! Contact me if you need more information - Jeff AK6OK

2. W2KWA

W2KWA Ham Member QRZ Page

Wow Feel real bad Jeff...But it's the world we live, I use PayPal as crappy as people may say it still gives you some sort of insured protection. Using things like Western Union you are basically screwed! Hate to hear this really bothers me well erned money taken by unsuspecting theives...Shame...Cover your self in the future speak to the seller directly or in person...Good Luck and hope you get some retribution...73s..

W2KWA

3. NK7Z

NK7Z Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hi Jeff,

Not to beat a dead horse, but the Area Code you mentioned is in Oregon, and you wired money... Here is my rule for buying...

If ANYTHING is wrong, and the person does not take Paypal, we are done.

Sorry that got hit for 700 bucks, but you might be able to stop payment on the check. I was once able to do that with a check that was lost. Check with your bank.

4. W3DIY

W3DIY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Very sorry to hear this....these theives have no conscience.

If a face to face cash transaction is not possible Paypal is the way to go. PP maintains a history with problem accounts and has reversed transactions when the deals went sour. I pass on any listings that will not accept PP. Better to pay their 3% fee then lose 100% of your money.
    There was recent post by a ham that lost $4K by wiring funds.

5. WW7F

WW7F Guest

Apparently anyone can get one of those numbers stateside, I have a friend overseas, she had a number there and I had to dial a local number but it directly connected to her line if she had not said she was overseas I would never have known so if so then a US phone number is no guasrantee it is truly in the United States might be some dink in India or Asia or Nigeria or any one of the places Romania is the trendy place to remotely steal these days I hear.
    Good luck, I also do not know if you just got the model number transposed but if he tried to sell you a Yaesu 875 not an 857 he was lying from the get go, no such model but I think you maybe transposed the numbers if so sorry no slam meant:)
    I wish you luck dealing with this piece of flotsam, 73,Michelle PS let us know here what results if any you got please, Thanks:)

6. NZ4X

NZ4X XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry for your loss of the $700 Jeff. These scammers are the scum of the earth. Many red flags on this one. Plenty of good honest hams out there.

7. WE6C

WE6C Ham Member QRZ Page

Jeff, It's me Bob from the next town over. I heard you talking to Dennis on the repeater about this last night. I'll keep my fingers crossed that some good luck comes your way and the bank gets you your money.

Just 2 weeks ago a friend in Oregon was looking for a house to rent. Long story short, after 2 e-mails with the landlord he felt something may not be right so he did some IP searches and found the e-mails were from Africa! We know the next e-mail was gonna be asking him to wire money. Fortunately for him, he's one of the smartest computer guys you'll ever run across.

CU on the air. Bob WE6C

8. WA9YOZ

WA9YOZ Ham Member QRZ Page

If the scammer is from India, as a last resort I would file with the Ambassador of India. Can't hurt to try?
    Tony
    wa9yoz

9. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Sorry to hear about this, but lots of red flags on that one.

I'd never "wire" (bank transfer) funds to anybody who wasn't closely related to me (like one of my kids).:p

10. WB5KJR

WB5KJR Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

You may be insured against such loss. Check your homeowners policy.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.