ad: elecraft

Scam Alert !!! ****KA1HD****(207) 731-8916

Discussion in 'Stolen Radios, Scams and Rip-Offs' started by VE3VTG, Jun 9, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. VE3VTG

VE3VTG Subscriber QRZ Page

I have been approached by a person trying to pass himself off as Bill KA1HD

This is his email to me:

Hi Enzo,
    I got the MTR3B LCD couple of months back to compliment my MTR5B but I don't think I really need the MTR3B anymore.
    Thought you might be interested.
    Asking price is $240 shipped

I currently don't have any photos right here, (207) 731-8916 I'm not always close by, you can leave me a voice mail.

KA1HD
    William Perry

This guy is FUNNY!! :)

If you Google the number, You will see it has been used in CAR Scams as well. 73 de VE3VTG

WB4HAM likes this.
  2. KA2FIR

KA2FIR Ham Member QRZ Page

Carrier is Enflick, report it.

abuse@enflick.com

You put your email address in your WTB ad so it's no surprise a scammer contacted you.

W7UUU likes this.
  3. VE3VTG

Most guys have there email on there QRZ page. The Scammers are always using call signs that do NOT have there email on QRZ page. So it avoids people doing cross-references and it eliminates the possibility of the victim contacting the authentic owner of that call sign.
    So my point is, With or without me putting my email on my want ad. They could have always contacted me via my QRZ page. This is what they do for a living! They have there angles covered. They also know by your questions, What the rate of success is going to be by the 2nd email.
    This is not there FIRST
    Rodeo.

WR2E likes this.
  4. WB2LBV

WB2LBV Ham Member QRZ Page

But-
    The email on your QRZ page is only visible to other logged-in ham members. Content in classified posts is publicly visible to anyone on the internet. So if you don't post any contact info in the classifieds and refer any communication to your QRZ listed email or a private message through the forum, that eliminates the "drive-by" scammers who browse the forums looking for easy marks. Yes in the event of a hacked account they will be able to see your private email but that isn't nearly as common.

KA2FIR, N0TZU and VE3VTG like this.
  5. VE3VTG

Was not aware of that or I forgot. Anyhow good to know.
    Yes I agree that the likelihood of the account being hacked is not as common.
    Tks David 73 de VE3VTG