SB-221 Heathkit AMP Bias Mod T/R Relay 100k Question

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by N0OHL, Dec 4, 2019 at 5:41 PM.

1. N0OHL

N0OHL Ham Member QRZ Page

I have been going thru a working SB-221 and am getting ready to what is called the Bias Mod. I would like to thank W1QJ for his great description of the Mod details.
    https://forums.qrz.com/index.php?th...modification-rewire-yes-or-no-and-why.593843/

However, checking the details of how my SB221 was built, I found something interesting. The resister to be moved to the next contact in my AMP is 54ohms -- and everything I can find says it should be 100k. However, the relay/amp seems to be working all right.

However, I am thinking I should replace th 54ohm Resister with a 100k one when I move the wires around with W1QJ directions.
    Pictures below of how it looks now ( before Mod ) ( the extra white wire is to power a Soft-Key -and will be left)

2. N0OHL

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

You're reading the color code from the wrong end of the resistor.

That's 100K: Top stripe brown (1), next black (0), next yellow (4 zeros) = 100,000. The green band is the tolerance: Green = 5%.

K7TRF likes this.
  4. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, that's a 100k resistor...

5. N0OHL

Wow....sure glad I put a picture here

6. K7TRF

K7TRF Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, there's no harm in replacing the 100k resistor with a.... 100k resistor other than the cost of that resistor :)

7. AI3V

AI3V Ham Member QRZ Page

Fixed it for you :D

Rege

KS4W likes this.