SB-220

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by WB4YVO, May 16, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

If you want to get anal about grounding grids then the ultimate way is unequivocally to use the Ameritron special tube socket. Some years ago in the quest to make the AL80b a better amp (I assume) Tom W8JI designed the new “ground plane” socket they use in the 80b. The socket is for sale through the MFJ catalog. I haven’t seen anyone to it yet, but I’d assume whoever does it first to an SB220 will be a trendsetter amongst anal grid grounders. I probably shouldn’t have mentioned this. I should have just done it and become the high exalted mystic grid grounder. Ok how fast can you get these sockets? On your mark........

KB1MM, W1TRY and KD2ACO like this.
  2. W4EKY

W4EKY Ham Member QRZ Page

3. W4EKY

W4EKY Ham Member QRZ Page

Here ya go. Easy peasy

Attached Files:

4. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

That’s a terrible way to ground grids. That’s how you tube dude does it. Yeah it works but there’s much better ways.

5. KD9IQO

KD9IQO Ham Member QRZ Page

KD9IQO_SB220A.jpg

W1TRY likes this.
  6. G3YRO

G3YRO Ham Member QRZ Page

Yes that's how I grounded the grids on my TL-922, separate copper strips directly to chassis from each pin..

Roger G3YRO

7. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Wher'd ya get those tube sockets? They appear improved from the Johnson 275 type.

8. K1SZO

K1SZO XML Subscriber QRZ Page

....and then tune the dial to 7.2mhz and tell us what you really think! :eek::D

9. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

They are Chinese.

10. W2VW

W2VW XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What isn't these days?

The Chinese sockets I have appear to all use cadmium plated alloy.

The ones pictured look like gold plated contact fingers with spring steel tension clips.

At least three different metals in a high current heat cycling situation.

They look great now. It would be a plus if they look great after 5 years of use.

How's your foot?