SB-200 Question

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio Amplifiers' started by KJ4FZ, Nov 10, 2018 at 11:53 AM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: l-assoc
ad: Left-3
  1. KJ4FZ

KJ4FZ Ham Member QRZ Page

I bought a beautifully restored SB-200 from a ham in Pennsylvania. He told me he had not done the restoration. The inside looks brand new. Is there an accurate way to tell the age of this amp by the serial number?

2. W1QJ

W1QJ Ham Member QRZ Page

You can probably go through and find out via the serial number but I think you can get pretty close by simply looking at the loading capacitor. The SB-200 had two different loading capacitors. The earlier models used a "Broadcast type" loading cap which would indicate it is an earlier model. Later on the used a more conventional load cap which looks like the tune cap but only with more plates. That would indicate it is the second addition model. The third addition model would of course be an SB-201 which would have 10 meter delete. IF BY CHANCE THE AMP HAS THE ORIGINAL TUBES YOU CAN LOOK AT THE DATE CODE ON THE TUBES. They would be Cetron tubes. Some electrolytic caps have date codes on them and that may get you within a couple of years, but what difference does it make if the amp has been all updated with all new parts? I would think that first run ans second run would be close enough.

3. KI4AX

KI4AX Ham Member QRZ Page

According to the internet SB-200s were sold from 1964 to 1978. So your amp is between 40 and 54 years old.

And, as W1QJ said.... What difference does it make? If it has been updated it's really more like a 'new' amp.

Dan KI4AX

4. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I never found an accurate S/N to "date" reference for Heathkits.

If nobody ever replaced the filter capacitors (and if not, they should be replaced!), the date code on the caps themselves should be pretty close to the date the amp was manufactured.

W1TRY likes this.