SB-102 with SB-640 external LMO

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by KC1BMD, Sep 15, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: l-assoc
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
  1. KC1BMD

KC1BMD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Aside from the modifications in the SB-640 to interface to the SB-101, is there anything special that would be necessary to allow it to interface with the SB-102? For the SB-101 you need to mount the L-bracket to the RF cage to hold the 9-pin Molex plug but that already exists with the SB-102. So would it just be wiring up the interface cable and wire the 9-pin Molex to the SB-102 circuit connection points per the SB-640 manual?

2. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Pretty much. Do you have both manuals?

73 de Jim N2EY

3. KC1BMD

Yes, but the SB-640 manual describes interface with the SB-101 only, not with the SB-102. I was hoping to get verification from someone who did it.

4. KC1BMD

5. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

I have an SB-101/SB-640. The combination works well. No reason to think it won't go just as well with the SB-102.

I had to fabricate a cable. I used 4-conductor telephone cable for the power plus a piece of shielded wire harvested from those 3-cable VCR/DVR interconnects that were once so common. I cut everything to the length specified in the manual. 24", IIRC. I got the Molex connectors from eBay.

Let us know how it goes! I always like to here the success stories as well as the questions/problems.

6. KC1BMD

Thanks. Where I might sell the SB -102 and replace it with an SB-101 (if I can locate a decent one) I'm not interested in modifying the SB-102 just now. I thought it would be plug & play but apparently not.

7. KC1BMD

Nevertheless, if someone has a working SB-102 with SB-640, I'd be interested to know what you needed to do.

8. KE4OH

KE4OH Ham Member QRZ Page

Keep in mind that even the SB-101 needed some (simple and well-documented) modifications to work with the SB-640. Many/most SB-101 you will find out there are not already set up.

9. KC1BMD

Sure, that's documented in the SB-640 manual. I just need to understand anything additional (or different) needing to be done with the SB-102.

10. N2EY

N2EY Ham Member QRZ Page

Here's the Big Difference:

When wired "stock", the 9 pin Molex connector in the SB-102 is set up for use with an external transverter, not the external VFO. So the changes are a bit more involved.

73 de Jim, N2EY