SB-1000 on eBay

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK7BMS, Nov 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
  1. G3EDM

G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

There's a partial, unbuilt GR-2000 on the watery auction site right now. It's only "Box 2 or 3".... It's not the first time I've seen these Heathkit TV sets turn up on eBay in that manner, presumably because when something comes in several boxes, there is always a chance that they will get separated and some of them lost. Presumably one of the boxes was for the CRT....

73 de Martin, G3EDM

2. G3EDM

G3EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

Also, if you want to build one yourself, the asking price for the Heathkit on eBay would be enough to buy the components needed for a true homebrew amp with whatever customized features you want.... Linears seem to be among the most popular homebrew projects nowadays, after antennas I guess.

The Heathkits do have a mystique, which I think is connected with many of us having wanted to build the SB-xxxx series back in our youth but not being able to afford it at the time. Doesn't mean they were "best in class" by any means and IIRC several of the models were cheaper knock-offs of the kind of technology used in the Collins S-series.

73 de Martin, G3EDM

WG7X likes this.
  3. W7IMM

W7IMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It is indeed!

And for anyone that thinks $2K is a lot for an unbuilt SB-1000, check out the SB-104/644/614 combo (unbuilt) for $5500 !! (of course, it's a "Buy-It-Now" price.....we may never know what it really sells for since there's no "best-offer" button)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2021
    K1OIK likes this.
  4. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

IF it sells, the price will appear in the Sold listings.

5. W4NNF

W4NNF XML Subscriber QRZ Page

That was a fair amount of money back then and when they first started selling 'em tubes (and crystals, of course) were extra. ;)

I didn't have one as a Novice, but a neighbor in university married student housing gave me one he'd never been able to make work (did not sand off the paint well enough for good grounds). I got it going and made quite a few contacts with the little girl. Good thing about it? It didn't chirp like the other el cheapo Novice rig, the Conar.

Anyhow, the owner had lost interest because he couldn't make it work, so I played around with it, and, yeah, made quite a few contacts with its magnificent 7 watts. I then put it in a box and forgot about it. Since it wasn't my Novice rig, it didn't have that charm and nostalgia associated with it.

Some OMs are nostalgic for the little thing, though. I've seen it on eBay for well over $200.00 (!)... :)

6. W7IMM

W7IMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Only if he sells it on eBay

7. KS2G

KS2G Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Of course -- the post on which I comment was about selling on eBay.

8. W4KYR

W4KYR Ham Member QRZ Page

It sold for $2,802.52 There were 34 bidders.

N2EY and K1OIK like this.
  9. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

If memory serves, the SB-1000 is really an AL-80B, built for Heath by Ameritron.

Why buy a used one on eBay, many years old and in unknown condition, when you can buy a brand new one from a dealer or the manufacturer for less? That’s what I don’t get.

10. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

...and a brand new AL-80B currently sells for $2K at DXE...