SB-1000 on eBay

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KK7BMS, Nov 26, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-Geochron
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. K0MB

K0MB Ham Member QRZ Page

As the possessor of an unassembled SB-401, I would say you would pay at least as much to acquire all the requisite parts to build one today. Probably more if you include custom fabrication of the metal parts. I had intended to build this one, but as you often read on ZED, too many projects and too little health!

2. W7IMM

W7IMM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It's up to $2025 with about a day to go.

The REAL crazy price will (of course) be in the last 30 seconds of the auction.(and there's 65+ "popcorn-poppers" watching too!!)

With an AL-80B selling for around $2000, maybe it's not all that crazy ......But you're right. Building it would definitely reduce it's "value"

But who really buys amateur radio stuff for investment? It usually just gets junked out or sold by the kids when the "amateur" buys the big farm!

3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

But the AL-80B is a far better amplifier with features lacking in the SB-1000, and if purchased new, comes with a 1-year warranty.

I guess the Heath warranty would be "If it doesn't work, send it anywhere you want because we're not here anymore. Have a nice day."

W0FS likes this.
  4. K1OIK

K1OIK XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I built one. a GR-2000 that lasted 25 years, it was part of a Bell and Howell course. The manuals were so detailed I could fix whatever broke. Then I got another one that I had them side by side. Sold the guts for $500, shipping was $200. And it was free, courtesy of the G.I. bill.

KC1NY and KA4DPO like this.
  5. K3EY

K3EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Last I looked the AL80B comes with a two-year warranty not one year

KA4DPO and K4NWD like this.
  6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

A local friend of mine has one - let's see if he will chime in @WG7X .... I recall he had a houseful of Heathkit appliances at one time

Dave
    W7UUU

7. KA4DPO

KA4DPO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

The AL-80B is a better choice anyway. Besides having brand new power supply components, there are a number of circuit improvements over the original AL-80 / Heath SB-1000.

8. WG7X

WG7X Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Not me, my old man / father figure. We had everything Heathkit: TV Stereo record player combo, Shortwave receiver, all kinds of stuff. But I was only about 10 or 11 years old at the time... So no memories from that era. 1964 - 1967 or so. That was a looong time ago!

W7UUU likes this.
  9. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Isn't that what happens to a lot of "collections" of all kinds? :confused:One person's treasured collection may just be a :eek:pile of junk to his/her heirs.:rolleyes:

10. W0FS

W0FS Ham Member QRZ Page

I built one, a console, back in the 1970's. Lasted for years and was fun building, which took many hours. The most ambitious kit building I ever took on.
    Clay W0FS