Save my vacation please! (LNR end fedz question )

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KD8ZM, Aug 27, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-rfparts
ad: K3QNTad-1
ad: Subscribe
  1. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

I am on vacation in a class c motorhome. I brought along a 20-30-40 LNR End Fedz antenna and an extendable 32' fiberglass mast that attaches to the rear of the RV, figuring I could attach the one end to the top of the mast and run the other end to a picnic table as a sloper. However I was working a lot leading up to vacation, didn't think this through totally, and didn't realize just how doggone LONG this antenna is. It is just too long for most campsites!
    Question: could I suspend the middle of this thing from the top of the 32' mast and have a reasonably efficient radiator, or is that a dumb idea? Is there a better idea I might be missing?
    Thanks for your help in preserving my hamcation!
    73!
    Brady

2. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have the endfedz 40/20/10. I found that, for 40 anyway, the BEST configuration was suspending it in the middle as an inverted V. I figure that the current distribution is the same as a center fed dipole, so you can treat it like one.

3. KD8ZM

KD8ZM Ham Member QRZ Page

Ok thank you, so maybe there's hope. I guess I will need to pull the one end a bit away from the rv and stake it, to keep the rv from absorbing the rf, right?

4. KM4DYX

KM4DYX XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What you're going to get is reflection off the RV. If you could rig the antenna so that the axis of the RV was in line with the axis of the antenna you could perhaps minimize the reflection, but don't obsess on it.

KD8ZM likes this.