SAVE 146.52 simplex from contesters use

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by W4FM, Oct 23, 2015.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-BCInc
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: l-gcopper
  1. W4FM

W4FM Ham Member QRZ Page

URGENT !!! 146.52 SIMPLEX
    Recently the ARRL Board of Directors decided to change the Rule 1.8 prohibiting 146.52 from contest use. Imagine, 146.52 the "National Simplex Calling Frequency" now will be filled with contesters !!! This new Band Plan Rule 1.81 goes into effect Jan 1, 2016. Everyone who does not want contesters on 146.52 needs to contact the ARRL board members at http://www.arrl.org and tell them to change it back to the way it was, where contesting was prohibited on 146.52 simplex.
    W4FM

2. K9STH

K9STH Ham Member QRZ Page

I definitely agree with protesting the inclusion of 146.520 MHz for contest operation. Also, the 52.525 MHz 6-meter FM calling frequency needs to be banned as well.

Out in the "boonies", use of the calling frequencies for contest operation might not be that bad. However, in a major metropolitan area, use of those frequencies will be chaos!

Inclusion of 146.520 MHz will definitely introduce contest operation to the FM crowd. Unfortunately, at least in my opinion, the introduction will not result in anything favorable. To me, this inclusion was the result of a very small number of contest operators who wish to increase their individual scores and who do not have any real regard for everyday FM operations.

Glen, K9STH

W4FM and KC3BZJ like this.
  3. KQ0J

KQ0J XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I have no problem with using it on the handful of days that there are any VHF contests. Nobody is there most of the day in this area. I scan it all day and night and rarely hear a station unless the band is up and the band is never up during a contest ! There are no protected HF frequencies, why would 2M be different?

K6BTM likes this.
  4. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

Don't see the locals who often use .52 during the day in this area moving because of a contest thought the main purpose of a simplex calling frequency was to make contact and move on to another frequency to complete the QSO guess that shoots that theory all to hxll now it's tie up the callling frequency....no problem.

5. KY5U

KY5U Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yesteryear: In the words of Hiram Percy Maxim, the ARRL was founded for the"good of the members, not individuals." It was opened only to highly qualified amateurs in the beginning.

In the last 25 years: With heavy Winlink influence and contester influence, the ARRL is now the organization of the few, not the many. Anyone can join by paying the fee.

YOU tell ME if the ARRL has lost its focus....

6. W7UUU

W7UUU Principal Moderator Lifetime Member 133 Administrator Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Calling frequency... hmm not much around here. 146.52 is either dead for hours upon hours or has an endless ragchew with little if any callsigns being used.

Calling frequency :)

Dave
    W7UUU

NL7W likes this.
  7. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I see zero problem with using .52 simplex for contest operations, frankly.

Many years ago, it was allowed and folks who were on 2m FM got a huge thrill out of working mountaintop contesters hundreds of miles away. Then, they prohibited it for many years, and now it's back. I actually think it's a good thing. 52.525, 223.50 and other FM simplex calling frequencies have always been allowed. It creates activity that's normally not there and in many areas, literally zilch.

Back in the 'heyday' of 2m FM, which I think was really in the late 70s through the late 80s and it's been on a downhill slide ever since, I operated my home station in NJ with a kW on 2m FM during contests, taking breaks from SSB-CW. In the '77 VHF SS I think it was I made over 300 contacts on .52 simplex in one weekend...almost all non-contesters, just people who happened to be monitoring. Every one of them said, 'Thank you...I can't believe how far away you are.' I was running 700W carrier power to a Stationmaster at 70 feet, from my hilltop home site and a lot of the contacts were 200 miles away and very weak. But I could hear the 10W stations at 200 miles, due to a very good site and an amazing receiver. Worked mobiles in Hartford, Baltimore, Binghamton, eastern Long Island, etc. from my home site in northern NJ. Being several hundred feet above average terrain helps a lot.

Nobody complained...not anybody. They were all thankful to work 'DX' on 2m FM simplex. I used to get hundreds of QSL cards for that.

It will not be a problem. What it might be is an incentive for some guys who are only on 2m FM to explore new horizons, maybe other bands or weak signal work.

NL7W likes this.
  8. KN3O

KN3O Ham Member QRZ Page

I leave my HT on scan with the calling frequencies for both 2 and 440, pretty much all the time. And every time my HT moves right past those frequencies as if no one is there, because no one is. I have no problem with this. We have a repeater here for local talk, as do most any places.

9. K3XR

K3XR Ham Member QRZ Page

With all the post about how rare it is to hear little or no activity on .52 begs the question who will the contest stations be working other than other contest stations which of course they would have worked on the other 2 mtr simplex frequencies absent .52

10. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I don't have a dog in this fight since I don't operate 2m and my first reaction was "oh, no-bad move". Then, after considering that the frequency just doesn't get used like it did in the old daze, I changed my opinion. I say let's try it and see. It may indeed cause some guys to dust off their old 2m FM gear.

K6BTM likes this.