SatPC32 and 9700

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by NG1I, Mar 18, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-gcopper
ad: l-BCInc
ad: Left-3
  1. NG1I

NG1I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello all,

I'm trying to use SatPC32 IC-9700 for control of satellite doppler frequency automatically without spinning the radio dial but not sure if I need a CT-17 cable from remote jack in rear of radio to accomplish this

I have used RT Systems to load all the satellites I use into 9700's memory via USB cable

When a sat is in view the frequencies on SatPC32 are different from the ones I plugged in from the AMSAT beginners guide.

I've re-read all instructions from documents out there, particularly from VE4SW.

I'm in a stall and falling out of orbit.....any help for this old guy would be appreciated

Frank
    NG1I

AK5B likes this.
  2. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Frank , I'm going to email you my setup files
    In particular the doppler files for freq control. Also I'll give you some screen shots of how mine is setup
    I use an IC9100 but the radio setups should be very close

check your email, Bob

3. NG1I

NG1I Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thank you very much Bob.......I'll let you know how I make out

Frank
    NG1I

4. WD4ELG

WD4ELG Ham Member QRZ Page

Bob, can you plz also send the doppler files to me. Thanks.

5. KB1PVH

KB1PVH Ham Member QRZ Page

You only need a USB cable.

W5PFG and AK5B like this.
  6. K9JKM

K9JKM Ham Member QRZ Page

Hello Frank,

There is a how-to do IC-9700 with SatPC32 document posted at: https://www.amsat.org/station-and-operating-hints/ It is the very bottom article (since it was added most recently).

Look for "The new Icom IC-9700 is a great satellite radio, but it can take some work to get up and running with SatPC32. Stefan Wagener, VE4SW, has written a guide to help you through the process of setting this radio up."

WD4ELG likes this.
  7. KS1G

KS1G Ham Member QRZ Page

I've had problems using the RT Systems cables for CAT control (experienced with IC-9100 and TS-2000). Regular USB works fine for SATPC32. I reserve the RT Systems cable/dongles for memory programming.

8. WF0M

WF0M XML Subscriber QRZ Page

I've had success getting this setup on my 9700. I also purchased a special cable to get a waterfall display up and working on the PC as well. I'm still working on getting my first satellite QSO via an HT before I try with my 9700. I'm using a regular USB cable that I had lying around to do the RT systems programming and a special cable for connecting to the 3.5mm output of the 9700 to USB input on my PC.

9. K5HS

K5HS Ham Member QRZ Page

well I followed directions to the letter and cannot get the scope function to work, with an error generated that the USB port is not recognized .

The CIV cable works like a charm controlling the 9700 as it should.

The USB port did control the radio initially, and I can undo the settings and go back to controlling the radio via the USB port and it works as it should.

Oh well I just will use the scope in the radio, its a nice idea.

10. K5HS

K5HS Ham Member QRZ Page

Since I cannot edit my post I am relying that I now have success!

I un-installed the drivers and re-installed them (same drivers,, dont know) and now the scope works,, but it opens UNDER other windows so took me a few seconds to find it.

AB0XE, WF0M and K3RLD like this.