ad: k1jek

SATERN torpedoed?

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by K3WGI, Apr 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: HRDLLC-2
ad: L-Geochron
ad: Left-2
  1. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I hear 10 meter beacons on Jupiter.
    [​IMG]

W4KYR likes this.
  2. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

Those are 20 meter beacons

N1VAU likes this.
  3. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

I think the only beacon on 20m is the NCDXF/IARU system on 14.100.

But there are lots of them on 10m.:)

4. W2CPO

W2CPO Ham Member QRZ Page

Sounds like SA is going through the same sort of bickering ARC Disaster Services had in the late 80's. Hope cooler heads prevail, political infighting is laid to rest, and everyone gets back to the mission of helping those in need.

K3WGI likes this.
  5. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

There's Klingons on the starboard bow...
    Mike N3PM

N1YR and N1EN like this.
  6. W3WN

W3WN Ham Member QRZ Page

Are you star trekkin’ across the Universe?

7. N1YR

N1YR Ham Member QRZ Page

Boldly goin' forward . . 'Cause we can't find reverse?

8. N3PM

N3PM Ham Member QRZ Page

That's afFIRMative.
    Mike N3PM

9. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

Scrape 'em off, Jim!

10. KA0VZP

KA0VZP Ham Member QRZ Page

There seems to be some philosophical differences from a guy, Lee who had been assigned the net control for the legitimate SATERN group (I've been a member almost since its founding and knew WW9E personally; his elder brother lives just a few miles from me in retirement here near Branson, MO.) and apparently, allegedly, at NHQ person came out with some edict involving training of SATERN volunteers or otherwise, so the Lee guy (WA5LEE / TX. ham) in his anger and rebellion formed a group with the same anacronym (S A T E R N) but "unafilliated" himself and all who would follow his lead, with The Salvation Army.

I am also convinced that this will do nothing but complicate disaster communications response ultimately affecting the victims of such happenings. It appears to be a selfish and egotistical effort Lee perpetrated.

You've got to realize that The Salvation Army is the #2 disaster response agency after the gov't funded/your tax dollars Red Cross. The S.A. is in 131 countries world-wide, thus offers aid in any region of the globe, internationally, based on Christian charity.

I cannot for the life of me, come up with any reasonable rationale why Lee would in a revenge-like manor, mount such an Anti-Salvation Army effort such as he has. Again, SATERN , as I read from the preamble for net operations, "provides communications support for The Salvation Army in times of disaster" (national and international).

How anyone can take issue with this, I am not sure. Systems do evolve and methods sometimes have to change, I understand. Using the "SATERN" initials AND being on their air with a net on the same FREQUENCIES as the origional SATERN has used (e.g., 14.265hz ) for several decades seems to be deceiving and divisive, and would create confusion.

I note too, that despite this mess with the national/international Salvation ArmyTERN group and now it's 'competition', that each USA Salvation Army TERRITORY (east, central, south, and west) has their own net time still, usually at 7.265 mhz.

I have written to the Central Territory representative asking about the SATERN net schedule without mentioning this controversy, and am awaiting a response from her (Michele).

I have also been an SAROF* member since the early 1980s and knew the founder of that group personally (W9SJF Carl Lindstrom).

*Salvation Army Radio Operator's Fellowship

N0TRK, K3WGI and W4HM like this.