Satellite XW-2F, is it Normal or Reverse ?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K2WH, Apr 6, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
  1. K2WH

K2WH Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I was on XW-2F this morning and hearing myself on the downlink, my signal just kept walking off and I had to continually retune myself in.

This only happens with this particular satellite, unlike the other XW birds, which have been calibrated in Satpc32.

Looking at the SQF file, mine says it is normal but I suspect, it should read REV based upon the received signal behavior.

So, which is it, NOR or REV ?

2. VE3CGA

VE3CGA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

all my xw-2' re listed as rev, the sat names & freqs are different

XW-2F,145990.0,435339,USB,LSB,REV,0,0,Transponder

3. K2WH

Thanks, yeah that's what I got, so why was my signal while perfectly copyable, continue to go up in frequency as though it was not following the doppler, like it was going the other way ?

Oh well, I'll try it again.

4. KB1PVH

KB1PVH Ham Member QRZ Page

Bill,

There's also a setting in the CAT Menu in Satpc32 called CW/SSB interval that needs to be adjusted. The way I did mine was to listen to FO-29 beacon and adjust the interval setting until it was steady with no drifting. I believe I ended up with a setting of 20.

5. K2WH

The interval setting is a setting for updating the rig tracking frequency, more frequently ?

6. KB1PVH

KB1PVH Ham Member QRZ Page

7. KF0QS

KF0QS XML Subscriber QRZ Page

The CAT Doppler correction setting in SatPC32 needs to be set for EVERY individual ham satellite. So, for each bird, you'll need to turn on the CAT control (click on the "C"), then click on the CAT option on the top bar, and then, using the "up" and "down" buttons on the screen that appears for TX shift (let these buttons control your uplink frequency), you need to find yourself on the downlink. Once you have yourself located on the downlink in this fashion, click on the box at the bottom that refers to accepting new settings and a new screen pops up that asks if you want to change the settings. Click yes and you should be good.

Of course, this assumes that your Doppler sqf file in SatPC32 has a correct entry for the satellite in question. I recently noticed that, for the CAS birds, the Doppler sqf files provided with the program have an error, and it needs to be edited to read either "NOR" or "REV". Whatever shows up when you download the program is wrong.

73 de Bernie, KFOQS

8. W5PFG

W5PFG Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This brings up a very important lesson in satellite operating. It is important to understand how to configure your tracking software for each satellite. I realize that many people want turn-key software to do everything for them but the reality is there is some dynamics when it comes to each satellite. They are created by different organizations, launched into different orbits, and may have varying operating modes. All of this needs to be accurately configured in software.

I've fulfilled many requests over the years to supply my personal DOPPLER.SQF file for SatPC32. People have been gracious to post their own files on websites, blogs, etc. All are well intended. But the reality is, people make mistakes in their own files (myself included,) and the information often becomes stale.

That is why I suggest that satellite operators using any software (SatPC32, gpredict, etc) learn how to manipulate the configuration files pertaining to satellite tracking and Doppler correction. Do not depend on others. It is literally NOT rocket science. It is, in most cases, editing a simple text file. I would presume that most individuals holding an amateur radio license have this ability.

KS1G likes this.
  9. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Geez... and to think I did all my doppler tuning (and rotor adjustments) manually... just like most rovers in the field do. Who knew how much of a headache we were avoiding. ;) And for those of you who worked me over the years and just thought I sounded ditzy, it was because my brain was multi-tasking. :rolleyes::D

WE4B likes this.
  10. WE4B

WE4B Ham Member QRZ Page

So you're not? :D Don't worry, I'm happy to take up your slack :)

N4UFO likes this.