Satellite Tracker Supplies

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by KR4YON, May 19, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: L-MFJ
  1. KR4YON

KR4YON Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I am in the process of building an automated satellite tracker. I am interested in working

some birds and I do not have the coordination to point and talk at the same time. I need to buy

some audrino boards and hardware but I cannot find anything local to the USA. The only place to

buy this seems to be eBay or Amazon thats ship from China with an expected delivery in the middle

to late July. I know there are suppliers local to the US but I don't know the names and a google search has

not proven to be useful. Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated. I have attached the link

that breaks down the parts list if this info is needed. Thanks again...

https://www.sarcnet.org/rotator-mk1.html#PartsListMk1a

Chris
    KR4YON

2. K6CLS

K6CLS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Chris,

Your searches might be more fruitful looking for "Arduino". Look at Jameco.com and Adafruit.com, plenty of choices for ATMega 328 boards.

The tracker is a good project. Please post updates and tell us how you get pn with it

3. KR4YON

Thanks for the links, yeah would probably help if I spelt it right...

N1VAU likes this.
  4. W4SEX

W4SEX Ham Member QRZ Page

KR4YON likes this.
  5. KR4YON

I have successfully built the antenna and motor setup and have it working but I am having problems working
    gpredict with hamlib. My question is for Ham Radio Deluxe users who have successfully setup the rotor functions
    or who have made a similar setup and paired it. There have been reports that this will sync to HRD but I don not
    know where to begin. Any help would be greatly appreciated...

upload_2020-7-2_9-47-46.jpeg

KM6ZJK, KM4USC and KD2ACO like this.
  6. KA0HCP

KA0HCP XML Subscriber QRZ Page

-I have seen several mentions here on the Zed that HRD is not reliable for rotor tracking simultaneously with radio doppler tracking. SatPC32 has been recommended. Note: I don't have experience using recent HRD versions for satellites.

SatPC32 has been a mainstay for satellite work for ages.

7. KR4YON

I want to report that i have successfully paired it with the HRD software. There is a problem with it displaying
    the readout of the EL/AZ gauges in the program software due to a windows glitch. Other than that its working
    as described in the linked description. It was actually really easy to setup with HRD when I started to pay
    more attention the the setup details and read the build notes a little better.

Chris

WZ7U likes this.
  8. WZ7U

WZ7U Ham Member QRZ Page

It sure is nice when resolutions get posted here. Thanks for that. ;)

9. W4SEX

W4SEX Ham Member QRZ Page

I'm waiting for Cubex Quad antennas to come back out with their Satellite-23 antenna which is much more compact/portable than the Arrow.

KF0BMD and KR4YON like this.
  10. N8SAN

N8SAN Ham Member QRZ Page

Can you talk to me about your experience in building this? I want to build one of these and I too saw that build log/sheet.
    Was there anything you'd change? Had trouble finding?

Yours looks like it came out quite nice.
    I have SatPC32, so I would be using that for the CAT control on the rig and rotor control.

Looking forward to your feedback!!
    Ryan