Satellite QSO, What Do You Log?

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by N7AY, May 4, 2021 at 6:57 PM.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
  1. N7AY

N7AY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

It seems that in addition to all the "standard" parameters to log for a HF QSO that a satellite contact should add a few more. I have come up with, SAT_NAME, BAND_RX, FREQ_RX, PROP_MODE. What others might here be of requirement or interest? What do you log?

2. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

Call, grid, date, UTC, satellite name

When you get into more than just FM voice (I haven't yet) I can see where mode would be a good thing to log.

3. N7AY

Thanks, I'll log mode for sure. I was thinking of the ADIF defined parameters when I posted but there might be other parameters of interest to log as well.
    Do operators bother with signal quality, satellite height or position?

4. N6MST

N6MST Ham Member QRZ Page

In my limited experience, not at all. Things happen so quickly during a pass (and some times even quicker than quick!) you really only exchange a call and a grid and MAYBE a 73 if the bird isn't slammed with ops. I don't know anything about what logging applications or LOTW (or similar) require.

5. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

I am an old school guy and keep paper logs... So my home log knows where I am. My portable logs are a spiral bound type notebook and each page is a 'location' and I make notes of location, setup, etc. For the electronic logs, I have a bunch of 'blank logs' I start out with each year, one for each satellite. After a pass, I open up that log in TQSL and the default sat name, bands, mode, prop mode, etc. are already there. I fill in the date and time once, and then just enter call and click 'add qso' until I have them all entered. Then I save the file (to a new file name if it's a portable op, just simply save if I am at home) and then sign and upload. So much easier to me than fooling with all the quirks of getting a normal HF logging program to work with sats.

As always, your mileage may vary... to me, I like to keep logging on sats simple since many other things are more complicated. :)

sat files.jpg

Example of beginning of year file... this one is SO-50:

<CALL:4>null
    <BAND:2>2M
    <MODE:2>FM
    <QSO_DATE:8>20180101
    <TIME_ON:6>000000
    <BAND_RX:4>70CM
    <PROP_MODE:3>SAT
    <SAT_NAME:5>SO-50
    <EOR>

Save the above as 'yourcall SO-50.adi' and then open 'Existing File' in TQSL and away you go.

6. N7AY

Thanks UFO, I like your simple style. It’s not a lot different than my HF log.

I did think of another, GRIDSQUARE. It appears that gird hunting in popular over the birds. I’m a casual HF County hunter so I’ll probably end up casually chasing grid squares.

I just don’t want to get down the road a ways and wish I’d been logging something.

7. N4UFO

N4UFO Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh, absolutely... but be careful, it can be addicting. I'm one of those guys that got up at all hours to chase the rovers all the way to CONUS 488 and getting the Gridmaster award. When the addiction sets in, you will find Twitter a good resource. The rovers and chasers hang out there. (And no, you don't have to engage in any other twitter nonsense.) :)

8. N7AY

I'm probably unusual but in my HF log I track the distance (straight, short path) to all my contacts. Not sure how to deal with that on satellite contacts.
    Can someone point me to more info on CONUS 488 and Gridmaster?

9. KB1PVH

KB1PVH Ham Member QRZ Page

https://www.amsat.org/gridmaster/

WE4B likes this.