Satellite iGate Discussion

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K3RLD, May 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: L-Geochron
  1. KE8FZT

KE8FZT Ham Member QRZ Page

Well... Thats also the same amp KN0MMM is using for his ACARS array. Maybe 3 of them, and 4 yagi's. Maybe I will find that exact same amp and compare it to the RCA that I was using and see if its different. I like his design, I wonder how well it would work for APRS...

https://twitter.com/KM0MMM/status/900128664968323073

2. K3RLD

K3RLD Ham Member QRZ Page

does he have more info on it? I'm curious how that array works. Don't you lose signal from one yagi into the other one (that are in parallel before the first "combiner").

3. KE8FZT

K3RLD, Did you use your MFJ diplexor in every one of your tests?

I got 8 packets this morning via a Kenwood handheld. I could clearly hear the ISS. I swapped for a Baofeng and couldn't hear anything at all.

I did all of my tests with Beofeng radios and didn't get much success at all. I am thinking that the Kenwood has built in filters, and that my tests with the TV amp should include a filter, it seems like I could almost hear the noice the TV amp was adding.

4. K3RLD

I used the diplexor in every case that I used the amp. Still connected that way, but I'm not using a transceiver anymore. I'm back to a 1/4wave, amp, diplexor, and the RTL-SDR.

5. KE8FZT

My satgate has been running great for a week, simple, discone->50' lmr400->kenwood ht. I have received maybe 20-30 packets including several psat...

I ordered a diplexer and want to swap the kenwood radio for the baofeng +diplexer. I think I will make that swap this weekend and see if it changes anything.

I still can't find anywhere online to list satgate and see what I have gated...

6. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

Try this....

https://aprs.fi/info/KE8FZT

Capture.JPG

Capture2.JPG

You can see some stats on your gateway, and a few details on the stations you heard directly. It may not be the raw packets, but - depending on how much time has passed - you can go to the raw packets for the other stations to see if your call sign is in the path for any of those packets.

73!

7. KE8FZT

Thanks, that's what I have been doing, but I was hoping for the raw packets or a little more info. Maybe I can find an API that I can access and write something...

I also flip to 144.390, and will have 2 igates running off the same PC/antenna soon, so that messes with the data also.

8. K3RLD

findu.com has a ton of cool CGI's for compiling APRS-IS information, but the one that it seems everybody wants is one that is not offered in "generic" format.

We all want to see a web-based "stations heard by" our igate - and Findu does this.... specifically for PSAT and PCSAT (http://www1.findu.com/cgi-bin/pcsat.cgi) and ARISS (http://www.ariss.net/), but it seems these are the ONLY two allowed implementations of this CGI.

Anybody figure out how to get that CGI to work with an arbitrary callsign?

9. WD9EWK

WD9EWK Ham Member QRZ Page

E-mail K4HG, the creator of FindU and the pages specifically for ARISS and PSAT/PCSAT, and ask him. Steve has been helpful in answering my questions in the past.

Otherwise, my other suggestion of looking at the call signs your gateways hear, and then looking at the raw packets for those callsigns, could still show you when your gateway was getting traffic. The aprs.fi site normally doesn't keep the raw packets accessible for more than a couple of days, but I sometimes look at my own packets to see which gateways are picking me up through the orbiting digipeaters (and, in some instances, when the K8YSE-4 gateway near me in the Phoenix area hears my packets directly). You could look up other call signs, and then check the raw packets.

73!

K3RLD likes this.
  10. K3RLD

Done.