Satellite Dish for Amatuer Use

Discussion in 'Satellite and Space Communications' started by K3ACE, Aug 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
  1. K3ACE

K3ACE Guest

I have inherited a satellite dish from my son in law and was wondering if anyone has good information on how it might be used (modified or otherwise) on the amateur UHF and above bands.

2. W8GTF

W8GTF Ham Member QRZ Page

I modified one for a computer WiFi setup. I'm curious what the could be good for in the ham arena tho.

3. KB3LAZ

KB3LAZ Ham Member QRZ Page

As am I since I have a few of them.

4. N5RFX

N5RFX Ham Member QRZ Page

Dss

If you have a DSS dish, Paul Wade N1BWR wrote an article about how to use one for 10 GHz. This article appeared in the December 1995 QEX and in the UHF Microwave Projects Manual Volume 2 from the ARRL.

Mark N5RFX

5. K3ACE

K3ACE Guest

Anyone else??

6. KD5HQN

KD5HQN Ham Member QRZ Page

I know a ham who used one of the roughly 18" directv/dishnetwork dishes as a reflector for a 1/2 dipole at 440Mhz. worked great he said. also could probably be used as a reflector for a 440 yagi, or even a helical for LEO sats.

7. WA3TM

WA3TM Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Like others said, wifi, 10ghz and up. At 440 it's basically the same as using a flat plate for a reflector. Not enough reflector area for focusing UHF, but it looks cool. Consider that a C-band dish is 5 to 9 feet at 4 ghz.

Others have made parabolic microphones out of the small dishes, although you have to boost the low freqs with and equalizer.

Replace the feedhorn with a couple of nails tied to an 40kv oil burner transformer and you have a directional EMI generator that will knock out communications for a mile. Great for knocking out the "boom-boom-box" cars as they drive by.

Tom

8. W7IVK

W7IVK Ham Member QRZ Page

quote: (Replace the feedhorn with a couple of nails tied to an 40kv oil burner transformer and you have a directional EMI generator that will knock out communications for a mile. Great for knocking out the "boom-boom-box" cars as they drive by.)

wow thats the best idea i have ever heard!!!!:eek::D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.