Satellite Communications Rant

Discussion in 'Ham Radio Discussions' started by N5WTF, Nov 26, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N5WTF

N5WTF Ham Member QRZ Page

Good morning all,

My rant this morning involves Satellite contacts and etiquette. While I am a new ticket holder compared to 99% out there, I have familiarized myself with proper procedures.

QUIT STEPPING ON PEOPLE!!!! If you can not hear yourself on the Downlink side of the Satellite then figure out what you are doing wrong and fix it. Some people actually put effort into working satellites and would like to actually confirm a QSO before being jumped all over.

I know damn good and well if I can hear people talking then you should be able to as well if your equipment is set up properly!

Now the next part is more of my personal preference.
    If I hear callsigns that I have already made contact with a few times I will throw my call out there looking for a new contact but I am not going to tie up the satellite working people I worked the day before or week before. Let some new meat in there to make some contacts.

Last but certainly not least,

QUIT RAG-CHEWING ON THE SATELLITE!!!!

While this is not nearly as bad as the people that seem to get their jollies off stepping on people, The satellite is only in view for around 10 mins. I would like to try and contact as many people, as far away, as possible! I do not need to hear any of your personal information other than: CALLSIGN, NAME, GRID SQUARE, SIGNAL REPORT and 73.

Hoepfully we can all learn to do better!!
    N5WTF

N3AWS and AF7XI like this.
  2. N3HGB

N3HGB Ham Member QRZ Page

Ham radio - not for talking - got it.

NK2U, K1OIK, K0UO and 7 others like this.
  3. N5WTF

I figured it would take more than one post before I got a smart ass reply. My expectations have been exceeded!

N9LYA, W9RAC and W3ATV like this.
  4. KK5JY

KK5JY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This is solid advice, but to be fair, it only works if your setup supports it -- specifically if you can listen to the downlink while you are transmitting. People using a single transceiver (with the exception of a few high-end models) probably won't be able to do this.

N3AWS likes this.
  5. N5WTF

I agree some people may not have the capability. But they need to strive to get that capability. I am using a yaesu ft 8900r Not a high end radio by any means.

N3AWS likes this.
  6. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

You will get more sympathetic responses in the Satellite forum, but yes, this is a problem. So called Alligator stations (big mouth, small ears), poor practices, "rag chews" on 10 minute passes etc.

One way to avoid some of this is to get on the Linear satellites where the extra bandwidth and generally more experienced operators changes the approach and provides a better experience.

But for FM satellites, just think about all the problems you had on terrestrial repeaters when they were a big thing, and then extend that footprint to multiple timezones.

N4DJC likes this.
  7. KK5JY

Well, no, high-end ops don't get to tell other users what gear they have to use.

Have you tried contacting the ops giving you trouble, via email or PM or whatever, to see if you could help them clean up their operation?

K6LCS and KD8ZMN like this.
  8. KA2CZU

It is poor practice to use half-duplex, especially for inexperienced ops, on FM satellites. And this is especially true during the day / busy passes.

WQ4G likes this.
  9. KA2CZU

It's not high end to get a baofeng for transmit, and an MFJ duplexor to create a full duplex setup.

N3AWS and WE4B like this.
  10. KK5JY

Fair enough.

You're still not going to get much mileage from the approach of telling other people what gear they have to use/not-use just because you don't like how they operate.