ad: CQMM-1

San Jacinto Radio Ham arrested

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by G4TUT/SK2022, May 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Yeah, he was a CBer at heart too but at least he was a General Class Ham.

2. KY5U

KY5U Ham Member QRZ Page

Looked her up and she commented IN FAVOR of the NPRM to give away the ham bands to the wankers.

It's also funny where she said she was "authorized" to have those radios because ham radio is an "emergency" service as told to her by the ARRL.

3. KB2FCV

KB2FCV Ham Member QRZ Page

I said nothing about crime, I was merely speaking of who is loonier... The guy last week has had previous problems before with his sidearm and the law. I also read that he tried using his lights to "try and pull over a car to see if he could". You don't think he had issues? They BOTH have issues... I'm just wondering which one takes the cake? I dunno, I think this lady may have him beat.

4. K7IN

K7IN Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, hubby may have removed the profile information to do some damage control.... But, with that load of scanners, most likely they were listening to a lot of things they shouldn't be such as cell phone calls. This is just the tip of the iceberg and their nightmare has just begun.

It also seems to demonstrate the complete lack of knowledge of "radio" in that she felt she would not be caught since they couldn't see or hear her except over the radio. Yeah, radio waves are invisible but, their source is rather easily detected. Duh???? Another tech licensee who memorized enough answers to get a passing grade and has no real interest in "radio" just operating.... :confused: It's a great example of just enough knowledge to be 'dangerous'....

Hubby is probably real unhappy since 1.-No money to bail her out of jail and he'll have to cook for himself. 2.-he's gonna be bored with nothing to listen to until he goes to work again. 3.-What is he going to do with the kid? All these become major issues and one's entire life is disrupted by stupidity that lands your tail in jail.... One way or another, it isn't going to just go away, probably not this year or next.... :(

5. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

I thought Gerritsen appeared pro se in his California state criminal proceeding. He certainly appeared pro se in his 2006 federal trial...

They count, but they're not felonies. However, a prior violation of 47 USC 301 or 333 would constitute a felony. See 19 USC 501.

18 USC 1362 was the big felony for Jack - interfering with a military radio system. But as noted above, transmitting without a license or malicious interference will be constituted as felonies if there is a prior conviction for communications related offenses.

6. AF6LJ

AF6LJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I was commenting on another comment.
    SanDiego county had a great deal of trouble with their 800MHZ system for the first few years, the system did not have enough repeaters for the terrain here.
    The old stuff worked so much better with so much less hardware.

7. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

Guess when you represent yourself, that's foolish.

Cite? 19USC 501 was repealed. June 17, 1930, ch. 497, title IV, Sec. 651(a)(1), 46 Stat. 762, eff. June 18, 1930

Yes. I've said many times that 1362 needs to be rewritten to more equitably match 1366. To even think about damaging any sort of energy facility or component part is a serious felony.

8. W6EM

W6EM Ham Member QRZ Page

[​IMG]

I can see you haven't been to any Florida hamfests......and seen the finest whackers and their mobiles.

Last edited: May 4, 2010
  9. NN3W

NN3W Ham Member QRZ Page

my bad..... 47 usc 501

10. N4NXD

N4NXD XML Subscriber QRZ Page

What 5 watt 800MHz portable would that be? Every 700/800 portable I've seen is limited to 3 watt carrier power for sake of FCC RF exposure requirements for part 90 certification.

11. KG4KKN

KG4KKN Ham Member QRZ Page

Well, when I took my exam, we were told something of the effect "you can start using your call and transmitting (etc.) as soon as you see your call appear in the FCC register. You don't have to wait for it to actually come in the mail," said our helpful examiner.

This naturally resulted in furious checking of the databases at the FCC site and here on QRZ, and eventually my call did show up. Yay.

If that was true, if the license was official when it became part of the official records, then it stands to reason that possessing the actual paper license is not required to operate. If you lose, burn, shred, eat, or have your paper license confiscated by police, it doesn't matter. If you leave the license mounted on the wall at home while you wander around using your mobile radio, you still are licensed just the same.

Until the FCC says you aren't.

I am reasonably certain that's gonna happen in this case. Sheesh.

But I don't think the police taking the paper license actually has any effect on the license status.

12. KD7ZOS

KD7ZOS Ham Member QRZ Page

Hmmm: Wonder if she was a 11 meter "React'er" ?! :-( Hi Hi...Book'em Dano! Sad event for Ham Radio!:mad:

13. KG6FTB

KG6FTB Ham Member QRZ Page

Total Disregard

I've held an FCC amateur radio license for 9 years. In that length of time, not once have I ever felt the need to deliberately harm anyone dedicated to Public Service. Nor have I ever abused my privileges afforded me by the FCC. Even though a newly licensed ham technician, I’m totally embarrassed by this person’s flagrant disregard to public safety and the amateur radio operators’ creed to public service. 30 hours maliciously disrupting police and fire radio communications alone could have cost someone their life. Thank God this ended without mayhem, gunfire or bloodshed.

I think she should be banned from owning or operating any type of transmitting devices. She not only maliciously disrupted public safety communications; she threatened the lives of police officers, fire officials and endangered the public.

I believe the FCC should auction off any and all radio equipment seized from those who intentionally harm public safety, thus help to build a national fund to help law enforcement become more technically advanced against terrorism. The FCC should permanently revoke her amateur radio license.

However, rather than American tax payers footing the bill for her incarceration, she should be given a lengthy senescence of Community Service to repay each and every agency that suffered from her tirade.
    As Amateur Radio Operators, we are All held in the public’s trust to provide a greatly needed volunteer service to serve the public worldwide.

14. K4UUG

K4UUG Ham Member QRZ Page

KC9RFL that dog wont hunt

:rolleyes: Looking back thru history before cw was removed extra and advanced were the biggest violators in the fcc enforcment letters.:eek:

15. K4UUG

K4UUG Ham Member QRZ Page

Oh you mean these guys he is talking about http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWE7FrVY9T4

:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.