ad: elecraft

Salvation Army

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by KD8WU, Dec 1, 2022.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. N9EN

N9EN Ham Member QRZ Page

2. N9EN

N9EN Ham Member QRZ Page

I also put money in the kettle from time to time and I have even donated a vehicle to that organization. Whenever I am passing a "bell-ringer," I ask if the person would like to hear a little "Salvation Army trivia" and am usually answered in the affirmative.

I tell them that back in the 1920s and the 1930s, when unions were just beginning to "make their mark" here in the United States, the Salvation Army would most often side with the companies and not with the union people. Consequently they were given the name "The Starvation Army."

2E0NYH likes this.
  3. KJ5T

KJ5T Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The last two years I have volunteered with the Salvation Army Angel Tree program working in the warehouse to organize donations and prepare the gift bags for kids who weren't "adopted" or perhaps there are bags that aren't full and we try to find stuff in the warehouse to fill them up. Our typical goal is to include at least two toys and clothing items such as a full outfit (shoes included) and a jacket.

This past year my wife and I also contributed financially by "adopting" two kids and we do plan to do the same this year. It really is a great program and I wish I would have known about the opportunities sooner. The logistics are a lot of work to ensure that all the gift bags are ready to go when they are ready to be picked up. I hope that the kids who benefit get a smile on their face when they see their toys.

W5ESE likes this.
  4. KM4FVI

KM4FVI Ham Member QRZ Page

Growing up in a poor family I could always count on the Salvation Army to keep a shirt on my back and a pair of shoes on my feet!

I donate every year and purchase presents for the kids from a list on the Angel Tree at my local Walmart. I remember those days when Santa came and went but that was okay. I learned at a very young age to work for everything in life worth achieving!

The Salvation Army is going to need our help to assist those less fortunate for whatever reason! I appreciate every one who helps the Salvation Army and I will always help those less fortunate!

Frank

WN1MB likes this.
  5. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I trust you mean the OUTSIDE of the kettle. :)

6. KD8WU

KD8WU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

LOL. I was slow on that. I was referring to the GIVING side.

Thank you.

7. VK5KKS

VK5KKS Ham Member QRZ Page

8. VK4KL

VK4KL Ham Member QRZ Page

My in-laws were salvos back as far as my wife’s great grand dad.
    Her great grand dad was awarded the founders medal and certificate signed by William Booth. Until recently we also had a framed portrait of my wife’s great grand dad. We donated all to the Salvo Museum in Sydney where hopefully as been put on display.

9. VK5KKS

VK5KKS Ham Member QRZ Page

When I was a little kid I wanted to be a salvo because I thought the uniforms were cool. Trouble is, as I grew up I came to the conclusion that all religions were just a way of controlling what was basically a childish, naïve and superstitious population. I needed the answers to life, the universe and everything that didn't come from religion, myths and legends etc. I'm still looking. :)

2E0NYH likes this.
  10. KQ0J

KQ0J Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

" the fact is the organization is still deeply homophobic and transphobic "

If you were familiar with the Bible you would probably conclude that the Almighty was that and more.
    Good luck with that on Judgement day.

" You don't believe because you can't believe" " All that the Father has given me will come to me "

11. 2E0NYH

2E0NYH Ham Member QRZ Page

thank you for confirming your ignorance