ad: vanity

Salvaged computer part: what is it?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KI4ZUQ, Apr 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

I was thinking of back in the 90's when one SIMM card cost over $100... it was rumored that computer memory manufacturers were keeping a lot of them locked up in a warehouse in order to drive prices up. Don't know if there was ever any truth to that or not.

2. N2UHC

N2UHC Ham Member QRZ Page

You might finally be able to finish that game of Zork.

3. GNUUSER

GNUUSER QRZ Member

you are correct many of the hdd's that used the glass platters were often found in the mobile laptops.
    the picture the op posted is an ide drive ( the precurser of the eide)
    i still have a couple with dos 6.00 on them ( playing old dos based games) But today I use dosemu on linux for that.
    Ive seen the evolution of many drives some very good and some that weren't even good for target practice.
    its remarkable though many of those very old drives are still functioning while many newer high capacity drives are biting the dust.

4. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Actually, it IS an EIDE drive; although the interfaces are electrically compatible, the (original) IDE interface specified a HD speed up to 66 MB/S; the EIDE allowed for 100 MB/S, and eventually, some interfaces and drives were rated @ 133 MB/S. (A special cable was required for interface speeds above 66 MB/S, but was usually provided with a motherboard that supported EIDE, or sometimes supplied with a new hard drive.) The term "EIDE" was often used interchangeably with similar terms such as "Ultra-ATA."

The drive shown by the OP is an EIDE, 20 GB drive, but only spins @ 5400 RPM; better drives would run @ 7200 RPM. It was often the "OEM" manufacturers (or those on a very tight budget) who bought the slower drives, as they were cheaper, but manufacturers could still advertise a computer with a "20 GB" hard drive. Many consumers never knew (didn't mind or care) about the speed difference.in HD performance, and it didn't really matter for web browsing and e-mail...:rolleyes:

5. WA9SVD

That seems true; in "ye olde daze," (pre about 10 GB drives) drives often came with a five year warrantee. Now, with even 1 TB seeming a bit "small," warrantees seem to be 1-2 years maximum; often only one year. Are the manufacturers less confident in their product's longevity? I still have several drives that are dated 2001-2003, including a 2001 40 GB drive in a Win 98 machine. that still work. I really wonder just how many (if any?) 1 TB drives made around 2017 (like my WD 1 TB drive) will be working in 2047? :( Or even 2037?:rolleyes: Or even 2027?:mad:

Last edited: May 4, 2021 at 12:09 AM
  6. N9LCD

N9LCD Ham Member QRZ Page

I remember the old DOS computers where you had to "park" the hard drive to prevent a "disk crash".

I don't know when we quit "parking the hard drive" but "parking" may helped "preserve" the older drives.

Also the slower speed of the older drives may help save them. As a friend said when the disk drive of his office computer shattered at 9,000 RPM 'It was a hell of a crash".

N9LCD

7. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Yup, sure do. Radio Shack Color Computer (Coco). I paid $399 for the Coco and $100 for the 4MB upgrade. A few weeks later they were selling for $299 WITH the upgrade!

8. AD5HR

AD5HR Ham Member QRZ Page

4MB upgrade??????

Had a coco way back when, think I paid about $70
    for the 64K chipset!
    Hacked that little 6809e to death, the entire processor
    bus was at the rom port. Had the 4-port expansion bus, disc drive,
    and all the "cool accessories". Upgraded to OS9, a unix based dos.
    I installed 41256 mem. chips, and had 4 banks of 64K, built up a text to
    speech board with the R.S. chip. Fun times with the soldering iron.

edit, Somewhere I still have this junk, wonder if it still works?

K6CLS likes this.
  9. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

For the past 30(?) years hard drives have automatically parked the heads. This happens during power loss/shutdown. Many (most? all?) will also automatically park when detecting a shock. Since all the control circuitry is now located in the drive I am not sure that it is even possible to issue a "park" command. The computer no longer actually directly controls the drives.

N0TZU likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

I don't remember HD"s that ran at 9K RPM, but some high end (read $$$) SCSI hard drives, (often used in RAID configuration,) DID run at 10K RPM!. The IDE (and EIDE) drives were normally 5400 ROM or 7200 RPM. the faster drives (of the same capacity) were, obviously, more expensive. I don't remember what the old ST225 (MFM) and later RLL drive specs were for speed. The ATA drives (both PATA ans later, SATA) were simpler interfaces, as most of the electronics required were integrated into the drives themselves, rather than being on the interface board..

Last edited: May 5, 2021 at 2:17 PM