Salvaged computer part: what is it?

Discussion in 'Computers, Hardware, and Operating Systems' started by KI4ZUQ, Apr 19, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
  1. WA9FZB

WA9FZB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

And don't forget that if you decide to actually install this relic into a machine, be sure the power supply has enough excess capacity to spin it. . .

Don't ask me how I know. . .

N2EY and KI4ZUQ like this.
  2. WJ4U

WJ4U Subscriber QRZ Page

Threw away some 20mb drives when we moved. :eek:

N2UHC, N2EY and KX8C like this.
  3. WF7A

WF7A Subscriber QRZ Page

20MB? I paid close to $450 each for those back in 1985.

N2UHC and WA9SVD like this.
  4. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I still have a folder on my computer named '13GBdrive' that I copied off many moons ago when I was upgrading.

KE8QEP likes this.
  5. NG1H

NG1H XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Luxury! I don't remember the price but it was LOT more for a 10MB S-100 buss external drive (Convair? Something like that) just a few years before that. And the CP/M system wouldn't even boot off it. You had to boot off the floppy then switch over to the HD.

6. KI4ZUQ

KI4ZUQ Ham Member QRZ Page

Thanks to all for helping on this!

7. WA9SVD

WA9SVD Ham Member QRZ Page

Dave is correct. Just FYI, I've simply "Giggled' [sic] for model numbers by Seagate, Maxtor, Western Digital, and even old, OLD Conner, Fujitsu, and Micropolis hard drives with good luck.

KI4ZUQ likes this.
  8. WA9SVD

Monetary value is probably less than the co$t driving to an e-waste site. But if there is data OR pictures on the drive(s,) they may well be priceless! You may be able to borrow a USB adapter that will connect to a hard drive (there are several available on Amazon) that allow connection to IDE 2.5 and 3.5" drives, AND SATA drives (2.5 and 3.5" STAT drives use the same connections.) If you have more than one or two drives that you want or need to access, the cost is probably under $10.00)

ADDED: In the mid 1980's, a Seagate 20 MB (MEGA bytes:eek:, not Gigabytes:rolleyes:) cost almost $300.00 NOW, that might hold 10-40 jpeg pix! But 20 GB is enough to store quite a few pix, or a LOT of "data." I wouldn't use a drive that old for anything important, (or anything new.)
    That said, I still have (and occasionally USE) a Win '98SE machine; at least one of the hard drives is dated 2001.
    But anything important had been backed up (either hard copy or on CD) long ago, so when (not IF, but WHEN!:() the drive(s) fail, I won't lose anything important or irretrievable.

9. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

If you disassemble it, be aware it likely has glass platters, which will shatter if you press on them or try to bend them.

KI4ZUQ likes this.
  10. WA9SVD

At that age/capacity, the platters are almost assuredly aluminum, (and I KNOW they in particular ARE aluminum, as I have disassembled some drives of the same type) used throughout the industry for 3.5" hard drives. And almost indestructible. (Physically indestructible, that is.) Many of the 2.5" (laptop) drives, however had ceramic platters, which WERE fragile and could shatter. (Don't ask how I know THAT...:rolleyes:)

N0TZU and KI4ZUQ like this.