Salutations all!

Discussion in 'Becoming an Amateur Radio Operator/Upgrading Privi' started by KK6WHY, Dec 31, 2018.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Left-2
  1. KK6WHY

KK6WHY Ham Member QRZ Page

I figured being new and all, I'd say hello.

I'm 34, but I've been involved in electronics since I was a kid. I've been restoring antique radios to help make ends meet since I was in high-school. I've spent the last 16 years volunteering at a railroad museum as a locomotive mechanic, and for the last nearly 7 years, I was an analog meter repair/calibration technician for a Simpson authorized service center, until I was recently laid off. I specialized in Simpson 260's. I've worked on hundreds of them of every series, going back to the 1940's, and I've repaired more Hickok tube tester meters than I can count. Granted, I was probably due for a career change anyway. Don't get me wrong, I loved my job, but I was just not making anywhere close to a living wage. Right now, I'm trying to find new employment in the railroads. I hope in the next few years, I can make enough money to maybe afford a modest apartment.

Actually, I'm not entirely new. I got my license back in 2015 as an instant General, but due in most part to extreme financial hardship (which being recently laid-off isn't helping at all), I've never used any of it's privileges. I did however get a nice set of license plates with my call on them (even though my truck has now been parked for the last 2 years with a blown engine).

But I look forward to getting more involved soon, as time and finances allow.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2018
  2. K7MEM

K7MEM Ham Member QRZ Page

Back in 1975 I was working for Motorola. Then, the economy took a dip and I wound up without a job. I was new to the town (Phoenix), newly married, newly a dad, and there were no jobs available. I spent the next 10 months looking for work and going to the Salvation Army for food. Because I was new to the area, I had to file for unemployment insurance in New Jersey. That took about 6 months before I saw my first check. That's a long time to go without a paycheck.

But I didn't get depressed, well not very much, and continued to look for work. Prior to my move to Phoenix, I worked for Burroughs Corporation (think Nixie Tubes) in New Jersey. So when I applied for any electronic repair job, I was rejected as over qualified. The thought I would get bored with the job. Finally, after 10 months of searching, an advertisement appeared in the news paper, for a Technician at a fairly large corporation. The rest is history. I spent the next 35 years at that place. During that time, there were several devastating layoffs (90%) and the company was sold several times. But I survived through all of the layoffs and selloffs. By the time I retired in 2011, due to the selloffs, I was working for the largest Aerospace company in the US.

Now, I have a small ranch (9-1/3 Acres) in Northern Arizona, 60 miles south of the Grand Canyon. To supplement my income, the XYL and I board horses. And, yes, that is the same XYL that I started with in 1975.

Every one has a story, and the story keeps on evolving. I only hope that your story turns out well. Sometimes it just takes a little bit of time. Good luck in your search for employment. Many hams take a break from Amateur Radio, when life gets in the way. You can always get more involved with radios, when times are better.

3. KC5AKB

KC5AKB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Howdy
    Hang in there and keep your head up.