Salt water plus zero noise is magic..

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KL2WX, Jul 22, 2021.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: l-BCInc
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: l-gcopper
ad: QSOToday-1
ad: Left-3
  1. KL2WX

KL2WX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Had an incredible weekend working some POTA on a couple of beaches here! I'm hooked. How close do I need to be to the salt water to get the HF magic sauce on 20m with a vertical? To wet tidal flats behave similar to actual salt water or does the tide need to be in to count?

2. VK3YE

VK3YE Ham Member QRZ Page

The answer is as close as possible.

I haven't done detailed tests with fixed antennas myself but an account from someone else said closer than 1 wavelength.

I have however done pedestrian mobile experiments with a vertical involving contact with salt water.

Much better when standing in it when contact is made to it. Wet tidal flats would be much better than dry sand.

Here is a pedestrian mobile demonstration on 7 MHz in and around salt water:

More on that particular antenna here: https://vk3ye.com/projects/projwade.htm

N1VAU likes this.
  3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

As youngsters vacationing at Myrtle Beach in the summer the only good music station was WAPE-690 from Jacksonville, FL. It came in like a local down on the beach by the water but a couple hundred feet inland it was ruff copy.

4. KA9JLM

KA9JLM Ham Member QRZ Page

I worked at the beach using a Ham Stick mounted to a ground rod.

Just pushed the ground rod in as far as possible in the wet sand near waters edge.

Worked good. But salt water is not very good for the radio.

K6CLS likes this.
  5. KF5FEI

KF5FEI Ham Member QRZ Page

Worked a guy who was vacationing down in the Carribean one year -- 817 and an antenna stuck in the sand. Absolutely no deflection on my S-meter, but he was 100% copy and sounded great.

6. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Used to enjoy maritime mobile on the boat. Too much upkeep though so I have the plans for a Rescue Minor a 19' powered by a three cylinder diesel. Designed for shore service it will glide into salt marshes with little issue. Can put a fold over vertical on it with no issues. Should be a blast to putter the shoreline making contacts.

[​IMG]

K0UO and AD5HR like this.
  7. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

I was about a mile from the Pacific, and about 40 miles from the Atlantic. Both had excellent results and were about equal, with a slight advantage to the Pacific; probably because it was closer.

Tom

8. KL2WX

Radials actually in the salt water? Is that possible?

9. N1IPU

N1IPU Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Don't need, Just drop a copper plate. My boat had one on each side (sailboat) . The surface area is the trick and will do better than a copper rod, Just strip will do portable.

10. KL2WX

In the water? Or just in the wet sand?