Saint George

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by W7TFO, Mar 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KB7OCY

KB7OCY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Dennis,

Having farmed out quit a bit of Powder Coating and enduring the grueling work you had to do, I found Bruce's dude to be hands down, better than anyone I have used.

On another note, try Copperstate Bolt in Phoenix. They worked with me locating (now obsolete due to the popularity of phillips and torx) a vender in LA LA land for the round head - slotted "vintage looking" screws I needed to complete installing the rear doors on my 1947 RCA broadcast transmitter; the originals had been lost.

That said, are you looking for "conventional" small head 12-24 slotted or the much larger <I would guess about 3/8" dia.> head screws? The original "small head" screws were actually brass with a shiny plating, Copperstate got me the same screws, but they are stainless <actually no-one would know the difference unless you told them>

Now, the larger ones are in fact from General Electric (I think Western Union used the same ones). They were used in substations and in substation comm rooms on their racks and were plated steel that tended to rust in bad humidity environments.

Those would be considerably more difficult to find. The panel shop I ran used 10-32 but the commie guys use 12-24.

Please share an example and I could ask around.

Regards, Hank

2. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Thanks Hank (cool alliteration, eh?) but I'm good on the screws...found plenty some time ago at a mom&pop shop in Casa Grande.

The aluminum racks were tapped for 12-24, which was more popular pre-war than 10-32 like today.

So far I'm having fun engineering this project, I wish I had more time to put into it.

73DG

3. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Amen!!

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  4. W7TFO

Did a bit more today towards the project, would pop a few of these if I could buy them out here...

73DG

Rectifier beer.jpg

N2EY and N6YW like this.
  5. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

Ive completely rewired several vintage vehicles from the 30-40's and saved all the good pieces. Most that was under the hood is pure scrap and is where most fires start, but under the dashes and the harness to the rear lights is usually fine and is used where needed in 30's ham and consumer radios including my own.

Reproduction wire is available and what I use in pre made harnesses, but it is quite expensive. Anything else would lose the customer many points in competition judging.

Outer cloth braid is also available to slip over modern wire.

As far as 12-24 old time looking screws I found them in an old timey hardware store in Lowell MA while looking for the same thread for holding HAM style rotator halves together.

Carl

Last edited: Apr 22, 2017
  6. W7TFO

"The eyes have it" Westinghouse stated "Instruments are the eyes of industry"

So I set up the "eyes" of Geo. today;

Completing the main meter bridge; metalwork, painting, meter rescaling, wiring.

From left to right: Filament, modulator current, plate current, plate voltage.

The entire panel plugs into another panel behind, with the Jones connector, so as to be easily removable.

It came out pretty good.

73DG DSC01052.JPG DSC01069.JPG DSC01053 (2).JPG DSC01068.JPG DSC01051 (1).JPG DSC01051 (2).JPG DSC01055.JPG DSC01054.JPG

WQ5Q, WA3VJB, N2EY and 2 others like this.
  7. WZ5Q

WZ5Q Ham Member QRZ Page

I'll say! :cool:
    I love your use of symmetry even when it is not required.
    It sure makes for a beautiful visual impact and reveals the builders experience.
    I can't wait to see the rest of your creation.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
  8. KA4KOE

KA4KOE Ham Member QRZ Page

This is top notch work, Dennis. As such, my opinion of you just went up a notch.

9. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

That's great, that you were able to get a matching set of those meters. Look like top quality instruments. What size are they? I couldn't figure that out immediately from the perspective of any other size reference in the photo, but they look slightly larger than regular 3"-plus size meters.

10. W7TFO

They are a little over 4" diameter. Easy on old eyes.

73DG