ad: Amateur-1

Saint George

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W7TFO, Mar 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

You just use self taping rack mount screws.
    I use new powder coated racks all the time in work and the holes are not 'clean'.

Even normal screws will push the coating out, its a bit stiff at the start but not bad...

2. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Please tell me where to obtain self-tapping round head slotted 12-24 screws and I'll buy some.

There is no way a regular screw will push this stuff out, it is way too tough...

Sorry to come off a smartass, but this is a 1938 period transmitter. Modern fasteners were just not used then.

I did find grounded 125V outlets for sale then...not that it matters.

73DG

73DG

3. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

Hi Don, et al,

Here is a company that makes all sorts of rubber plugs for holes when you paint or coat things. The auto body shop down the street has large bins of these.

https://www.stockcap.com/hole-plug.html

[​IMG]

4. KB7OCY

KB7OCY Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi all,

Apparently nearly everybody on this post seems to be an "expert" on the process of powder coating, but in this case I am going to have to concur with Bruce KF7TLL. I am by no means the authority on the subject myself, but I do know one thing: Like Dennis, by using "other" vendors, I have spent a ridiculous amount of time doing what is more commonly referred to by my mentors as "chasing threads"...the process of cleaning out tapped holes that have been contaminated by paint and / or other debris.

About a year ago, I received from Bruce (actually I Indian gave back) a medium height rack beautifully powder coated witch has probably 100 tapped holes, and NONE required "thread chasing". This is because the person that he uses actually knows what he's doing, and it ain't sticking "rubber plugs" and the like in the holes; nothing in the prep work ever gets to 500 degrees until its ready; he just knows what he's doing.

That said, occasionally some of us Black Canyon City, Arizona redneck Cowboys might actually have something of value to offer to the group. And if you try talking really nice to Bruce, he might even let you know the name of the guy who does this fantastic powder coating. Bruce recently showed me an example of a Krinkle Finish Black job, and the quality was to die for.

Of course, who am I? I've never built anything of any quality or value what-so-ever, so what do I know.

Regards,
    Hank, KB7OCY
    http://audiotesla.org/hellcat.htm

N6YW likes this.
  5. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Of course you have...

WQ5Q likes this.
  6. N2DTS

N2DTS Ham Member QRZ Page

7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Looks like they're those cheesy "universal" things that are supposed to take either a phillips or flat-blade driver. Most new plumbing and household fixtures come with those; I have found they look shitty and don't work very well with either kind of screwdriver, which easily slips. If the driver slips even once, guaranteed it'll leave an ugly conspicuous gouge on the surface of the thing being fastened. I think Dennis wants authentic looking flat-blade, round-head screws.

But isn't this a moot point, now that the holes in the rack have been successfully cleaned out, using taps?

WZ5Q and (deleted member) like this.
  8. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I'll move on if you'all will, and promise not to use the phrase 'powder coat' again in this thread anytime soon.

73DG

9. N6YW

Use the term "Powder Coat" any damn time you want Dennis. Your methods work for you and that's good.
    You're the only one building that transmitter and there are only a handful of people with your skill set who could
    do it, let alone take the time sharing the build with the masses. However, I do like the advantage of people
    sharing their resources with any thread as long as it's done in a polite manner.
    Most of what you are incorporating into your masterpiece is uniquely your own, with your approach and your
    design goals. That alone is a superb effort my friend.
    Twist the cap off another Kilt Lifter and lace up some of that fine cloth covered wire.

WA3VJB and (deleted member) like this.
  10. N6YW

And I might add...
    There exists a rather potent "Zen" in doing things your own way. What works for the individual may not work for others,
    and so be it. The bottom line is finding the enjoyment, fulfillment (insert your own descriptor) of rolling your own as you
    see fit. I'll tell you another thing about the "Tap & Roll" approach Dennis used... It works and it works well. I have done it
    several times and I had no problem with the time and effort needed to finish the job. In fact, I never complained unless I
    snapped off the tap, of which I was able to correct the unfortunate incident and move forward.
    I will also point out that it requires a certain patience and spirit of following through with a plan according to the needs
    of the moment. Dennis has a wonderful guy who does excellent work and I have seen it up close. No problem.
    Perhaps he could employ the methods suggested in keeping the threads from being fouled, but who the fuck cares?
    Get the job done and move on.
    End of discussion.

1 person likes this.