Saint George

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation' started by W7TFO, Mar 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
  1. KF7TLL

KF7TLL Ham Member QRZ Page

[
    I have had several cabinets done by my powder coater and NEVER had to clean a hole, He takes his time and tapes off each hole with a piece of tape.

I would think to find another powder coater That doesn't just spray and go one that takes there time to do it correctly.

Bruce KF7TLL

2. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Not possible in this case, as this black wrinkle is applied @ 500 deg F. Kinda hard on tape.

It is a small effort on my part in the grand scheme of things.

73DG

WZ5Q likes this.
  3. KF7TLL

KF7TLL Ham Member QRZ Page

Dennis

I am aware of the process of Powder coating.. The part is sand blasted/cleaned/sprayed then baked in a oven(if part is already coated or enameled must be chemically stripped first).

My guy @ ALL VALLEY POWDER COATING takes his time tapes the holes SPRAYES then pull the tape before baking.

I had a cabinet done in Black wrinkle for my R388 and didn't have to tap a single hole to get out powder coat..............

If you talk to KB7OCY ask him about the quality work that is done there.

Just saying that a "LITTLE EFFORT" before saves a LOT of time later.

4. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Instead of tape, why not some little paper inserts, similar to cardboard lollipop sticks, if you could find some the correct size to firmly stuff in the holes. Spray the powder coat, then pull them out and then bake. Just taping over the holes would leave bare strips or bare spots on the rails where the holes are. Little rolled up pieces of masking tape would work, but that would be more laborious than cleaning out the holes with a tap.

N2EY likes this.
  5. KD2ACO

KD2ACO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber Life Member QRZ Page

My paint and coating "local yokel" uses little rubber cones that you twist into the holes and yank out when you're done.

6. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I think Dennis has things easily handled. I saw it up close and it really is going to be a beautiful
    and well executed build. He has spent decades collecting the parts to build this beast.
    The tubes alone are worth a fortune not to mention the iron.
    Worth the wait.

N2EY and WQ5Q like this.
  7. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

Maybe you could ask him where he gets them and let us know. Those would be useful for regular paint as well, and come in handy for anything else you wouldn't want to get into holes, even metal shavings when you are drilling or filing nearby. I would assume they come in a variety of sizes.

BTW, that F-128A is a beautiful tube. I envy Dennis for finding several, assuming they are all good.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2017
    N2EY and (deleted member) like this.
  8. K5UJ

K5UJ Ham Member QRZ Page

I wouldn't sweat the rack rails and holes. Firstly, they'll be covered up with rack ears once the chassis all get mounted. Or, a little touch up when all is said and done with a flat black paint. So it isn't wrinkle like the rest of the rack. I guess I'm not super anal about this stuff. But I have some limits. Not wild about a HRO painted hot pink.

N6YW likes this.
  9. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I finally got all those damn holes done, didn't break a single tap--but I wore out three of them:

This coating is a new breed, extremely hard and very resistant to any form of damage due to wear or scraping, unlike traditional wrinkle paint.

The next step will be to place the power iron parts on the first shelf. The 3ph plate iron is deceptively small for the 5.5KVA rating.

That step will dictate the location of the modulater deck.

The mod trans weighs in at just over 100 lbs. This TX is guaranteed never to float away...

K4BKC and N6YW like this.
  10. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

I hope you post some finite information regarding the layout of your power supply and modulator decks.
    Knowing how you are, it will be primo and correct.

N2EY likes this.