ad: ARR

Saint George

Discussion in 'Amplitude Modulation - AM Fans' started by W7TFO, Mar 9, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N2EY

N2EY Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Nobody got the reference? Really?

QST for April, 1936, starting on page 48. "To A Lady With Red Hair" by W4VT. The description of the station was clearly influenced by the University of Pennsylvania W3ABT setup of those times.

73 de Jim, N2EY

2. W7TFO

W7TFO Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well, my first wife was a redhead. Another failed lab experiment...

73DG

W2VW and N2EY like this.
  3. N2EY

You might like the story anyway.....

4. W7TFO

I have the issue. I have so many issues, I might as well just get a subscription!

73DG

5. N2EY

I saw what you did there. NICELY DONE!

Check out the story if you haven't already. I think you'll like it.

Marcellus Gehring, Rollins Applethwaite and Pliny Fontaine may have some suggestions about the rig. You've already heard from Edward Southgate III.....

6. W7TFO

I finally had some time to work on George today, using a portable drill & tap to chase the holes from the powder coating process.

Several photos of the rack, the oscillator chassis & some parts, some panel extensions, and a rough panel I've just cut from a large sheet of .250 alum.

73DG 1938 005.JPG 1938 006.JPG 1938 009.JPG 1938 010.JPG 1938 003.JPG 1938 001.JPG 1938 007.JPG 1938 002.JPG

N6YW, KE4OH, N2EY and 1 other person like this.
  7. N2EY

,,,,and that's how THAT is done....

8. W7TFO

Here is a shot of the multiwinding filament transformer...6 each 5V 10A CT for my bank of 872's. By Electro Engineering.

Seems I'll be upgrading the plan to use fullwave, as my select iron won't make enuf E in halfwave. Filtering just got easier, say 2HY & 2uF @ 720Hz ripple.

The thing looks more like an undersea creature than electronic stuff, but it is safe as I don't eat fish..LOL.

73DG

1938 008.JPG

WQ5Q, N6YW and AF6LJ like this.
  9. K4KYV

K4KYV Subscriber QRZ Page

You're braver than I am. I never use any kind of power tool to run a tap, just a tap handle even if it's only to clean out an existing threaded hole. The things are extremely brittle. One false move and they break, and it's very difficult and sometimes impossible to remove the remainder if you happen to break it off in the hole.

10. N6YW

N6YW Ham Member Volunteer Moderator QRZ Page

Fortunately, the rack has ample room in back of the rails, so if that happened, you could easily chuck it up to a
    drill motor and back it out. I have had to do this on a couple of occasions.
    The trick is to stay consistent and focused. Take your time and support yourself firmly.
    I also use a little cutting oil on the tap. This helps in preventing unwanted "twist" which can cause you to
    go sideways just enough to snap the tap. It really sucks when that happens!