ad: M2Ant-1

Sailing sailing.....

Discussion in 'On the Road' started by KL7AJ, Jun 14, 2017.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: l-gcopper
ad: L-rfparts
ad: Subscribe
  1. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I need to get a sailboat into which to install a DXpedition station. Next I need a body of water upon which to sail said boat. Being in Fairbanks, Alaska, 400 miles from anything resembling an ocean, I'm feeling a bit landlocked. I suppose I could sail a Viking ship up the Chena river.

When I was a yute, we had a Danish Folkboat:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nordic_Folkboat

Unfortunately, I wasn't a ham at the time. Dad did have a ship-to-short radio receiver that we kept on board, so if we got lost, we knew we were lost or something. Anyway, we did a lot of sailing in the San Francisco Bay....and I really miss that. Once a Viking, always a Viking.

Eric the Red

Last edited: Jun 14, 2017
  2. KL7AJ

Although I've never had red hair. Now it's dark brown. Started out blonde

3. KL7AJ

I guess "on the sea" is sorta like "on the road."

4. KD8DEY

KD8DEY Subscriber QRZ Page

Arrrrgh Matey, Time to raise the Blue Peter!!

K9ASE likes this.
  5. KA2CZU

KA2CZU XML Subscriber QRZ Page

a blue peter was what one bloke got after a long stop at a bordello!

6. KL7AJ

Indeed. Speaking of which, the recent Zed thread on Semaphore was pretty neat. A "peter" of course is a contraction of "repeater" which was a flag designed to be seen at a long distance. We learned a lot of flag-flapping lore in the yacht club, much of which I've forgotten.

7. KL7AJ

N2SUB likes this.
  8. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

My grandfather was in the signal corp in WWII. But he was stationed in Panama and worked on a team that developed a RADAR system that helped win the war. :)

Here's an old pic:
    [​IMG]

WR2E likes this.
  9. K9ASE

K9ASE XML Subscriber QRZ Page

"Choppers"

N2SUB likes this.
  10. N2SUB

N2SUB XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Strangely, I have the same quality. We live next to an air base where all the SC Air National Guard helicopters are stations. I can always feel the rumbling before the props are audible. I'll turn to my XYL and say "Choppers", and 10 seconds later, there they are. After 12 years at this QTH, she just rolls her eyes.

K9ASE likes this.