Sailing Boat Antenna Help

Discussion in 'Antennas, Feedlines, Towers & Rotors' started by 2E1HPS, Apr 21, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
  1. 2E1HPS

2E1HPS Ham Member QRZ Page

Love the video thanks.

2. KL7AJ

KL7AJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Yep, that's exactly what I do. If you have a multiposition switch, you can also switch in different fixed capacitors.
    I built a FET dip oscillator for 630 meters....I plan on getting it published in either CQ or QEX pretty soon. Most of the commercial grid dip oscillators don't go down below 80 meters.

Also, check out the RSGB book, LF Today. I will be a contributing author for the next revision.
    73 es happy sailing!

AK5B likes this.
  3. K2EDM

K2EDM Ham Member QRZ Page

best I have ever done is pulling a dipole [end of it] up a halyard with the other end to the stern ass far away from the backstay as possible.....worked OK on 20..non-resonant antennas work equally poorly at whatever freq they are nonresonant at.......Pearson ariel [1990] , I had a 2 meter gnd plane on the top of the mast..never a ship/shore radio though, cause the coast guard seys that if you have one, you must have it on... ed k2lck

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  4. KL7AJ

I have no problem with mandatory radio watch. Plenty of good tradition for that!

5. KL7AJ

I'm even thinking of getting an official radio watch clock for the shack. They do look cool

AK5B likes this.
  6. 2E1HPS

Pearson ariels a nice boat a bit similar to the contests 26. Seems to be a good idea to use the mast to support a vertical wire antenna interesting about the dipole. Ground plane antenna is interesting also. I had a company try selling me a discone antenna for the top of the mast to.
    Any thoughts?

A radio watch clock for the shack is a great idea.

7. 2E1HPS

Also how would you rate:
    active mini whip antennas

And

ferrite loop antenna

For use at receiving at 490kHz

2E0CIT likes this.
  8. K2EDM

discone isn't a bad antenna at all,vert pol & great bandwidth,just difficult to consteruct......radio watch w/o a battery equalys a dead radio,....just had outboard on the ariel..

9. K2EDM

ferlower freq, might try an inverted V with the center pulled up by halyard and the rest going to the front and back of the boat.. as I said before, I believe in resonant antenanas...

10. 2E0CIT

2E0CIT Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi James!
    It must be GREAT to combine sailing and hamming! (And excellent wx for sailing now from Ramsgate, -my favourite seaside town!)
    I have various antennas including homebrew Miniwhips for reception but also a commercially made 'Scanmaster' active antenna
    It's excellent for the lower bands of HF and at MW and VLF. Noprobs receiving WEFAX, NAVTEX, etc.
    It is sold as a 'plug & play' but I found it works much better if you make two additions:
    -put a toroid current choke on it where the coax enters the antenna, -it chokes off rfi picked up on the feedline shield.
    -ground it. I wired a ground wire from its circuit board to an earth stake. I gather that others earth the coax shield as the coax reaches the ground .
    You have the best 'earth' of all under your boat!
    73 Hope to QSO! Jeff

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Scanmast...900438?hash=item2a57564e96:g:rT8AAOSwYmZXKepl

Last edited: Apr 22, 2020