Sailboat HF Antenna

Discussion in 'Mobile Radio' started by N2DGM, Feb 12, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
  1. N2DGM

N2DGM Ham Member QRZ Page

Has anyone had experience using a wire beside the back-stay Hunter 34.4 1982 , don't really want to mess with the back-stay to be used as an antenna ..?

2. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

In both my boats in the past (a 34' wooden sloop on Oahu, and a Catalina 27 in Florida), I thought about a variety of methods to use that nice tall mast as an HF antenna or antenna support. In both instances, I finally came to the conclusion these two hobbies just don't belong together. When the winds are fair and the sea is calm, I'd rather be at the tiller or wheel saying things like, "Helm a-lee!" and watching the dolphins ride my bow wake.

But if I were to try to set up to operate while on a hook or in my slip, it would have always ended up just being a long wire and a tuner. An insulated wire hoisted up the main in some form or fashion is about as good as I can imagine it getting.

3. N2DGM

Thank You for your Reply,,, Safe harbor or at Anchor/night ---- when to operate ----Good information---!!

4. K0UO

K0UO Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Search the other post and threads on QRZ.
    There's quite a bit of information over the years.

There are thousands upon thousands of marine HF Radio setups on sailboats, and many of those are also used for ham radio.

5. N2DGM

Thank You !! will check out HF Radio setups on sailboats for ham radio...

6. KO4MI

KO4MI Ham Member QRZ Page

Specific to your question, that configuration is called an 'alternate backstay antenna.' Lots of good ways to do it. The big deal is enough elasticity in the mounts to keep it from taking a load. Bungee at the top does nicely and provides an insulator from the mast.

From where you are you should be able to reach the Waterway Radio Net, 7268 kHz LSB 0745 US ET daily.

7. N2DGM

KO4MI Thank You for your input,,, been teleworking for 9 weeks now I apologize for a late reply great info ! every bit helps waiting on my first 2M radio (8 weeks) China is slow on parts to Japan ??
    These times are special so 73