said id never do it !

Discussion in '"Boat Anchor" & Classic Equipment' started by W9WQA, Oct 7, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Subscribe
  1. W5UAA

W5UAA Ham Member QRZ Page

Ya. The last used radio I bought was from a local friend. $60 for a 2NT/2C/2CQ. Stored in original boxes in climate controlled area since the beginning. Still looks mint. Unmolested by modifications, fixes and upgrades. I'm the third owner. I've seen 2NT/2C/2CQs that looked worse than mine in the pictures go for $600 on ebay. My 2C works, but barely. Replaced all the tubes. Didn't make any difference. The 2NT puts out power like new, though. And the 2CQ is questionable on what it does. It does something when I play with the knobs, but not much.

That was the last old tube radio I bought and is going to remain the last old tube radio that I buy. It was the best of all possibilities when buying an old radio. Cheap, like new and stored in original boxes. No rust, smoke, dust or spider webs.

The stuff was great when it was new. Very very expensive when it was new. Too expensive for a 13 year old kid Novice. There weren't enough lawns in my area to mow in a summer at $5/lawn for me to be able to afford something like this back then.

Would have been a dream come true back when I was 13 years old. But, alas, time keeps on slipping into the future. And this is just another example of another old radio that is now old. Doesn't matter how well someone stores an old radio. It goes bad just sitting there in a dust free climate controlled area. The years go by and it deteriorates. Simple as that.

You had to do it. I understand. I don't know anyone who has bought a used dream rig of years ago that wasn't disappointed. If they say they were happy about it, I tend not to believe them. Now you've been emotionally hurt and will never do it again. Same here.

I bought a DX-40/VF1 for $180 on ebay a year or two before I bought my Drake 2NT/2C/2CQ. From the pictures, it didn't look too molested. But I knew what I was getting into. When I picked it up, he said, "The VF1 don't work too well on 20." When I got it home, a more correct statement would have been, "It DOESN'T WORK ON 20 AT ALL."

After about another $600 in parts, time and labor, it now works like it's new. I like it now. Was it worth it? For me it was. It remains a "fixable" rig. There's also some sentimental value in it in that it was my father's first transmitter when he was CN8JP.

Am I ever going to sell it? Yes, at my estate sale. Someone will buy it for $20 and then brag about how savvy he was in his quest to buy used rigs and will then flip it for a profit. Good for him. How much would you buy a used DX-40/VF1 for?

We're all suckers at one time or another. All I can say for nubes looking at buying an old rig is, "don't be a sucker." And if you're determined, keep an eye out for "estate sales" from SK hams and beat the others to it.

Best of luck to you in the future.

2. W9WQA

W9WQA Ham Member QRZ Page

i didnt buy to use, just to see it light up,and to tune arounde and see what it sounded like "60 yrs ago" !!!...but i did expect it to work. well who knows,as they say, it could be just a tube...!search new nos for a ...6be6...
    tnx...

3. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Bands would sound as poor on it as they do a 7300. :oops:

4. N8YX

N8YX Ham Member QRZ Page

The local ham gang was putting their 7300s to use the other night on 40 and 80M FT8, and were doing quite well from the running commentary on our net frequency.

Bands aren't as broken as one might think. ;)

5. KP4SX

KP4SX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I make 10-20 contacts every night on FT8. I can't hear 10-20 cw stations! Remember when you could routinely tune around on 40 at night and hear dozens of CW stations at any moment? Much of it DX? That's what I miss.

6. K1APJ

K1APJ XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Way off topic, but remember the 1960's when 75M phone was full of locals during the day? Then that activity moved to 2M FM and now has vanished.

7. W9WQA

i was lucky. when i came in 25 ?? yrs ago our 775 repeater was bz all day.good old w90dm,now sk, was "net control" all day !! it was much fun...booo to cell phones and internet...

8. W9WQA

well its over. it didnt even sound good on am stations i found so its back in the box,going back to seller. ...brief romance is over. no i wont do it again,,,...