ad: M2Ant-1

Safely connect several HF radios with mulltiple antennas

Discussion in 'Amateur Radio News' started by VA2PV, Jun 2, 2019.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: abrind-2
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. VA2PV

VA2PV XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Hello everyone, In this video I present the protection measures used in my amateur radio station to be able to connect several HF radios with several antennas.

73 Pascal VA2PV

HF_setup_VA2PV_thumb.jpg

VE7PBF, 4G1WUA, K4RHS and 12 others like this.
  2. 2E0NMK

2E0NMK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Good Idea!!!

VK3GOR likes this.
  3. WV1Q

WV1Q Ham Member QRZ Page

Nice work, send me the goods on the SDRDuo and how to run this item in my station. De WV1Q Al in the Magnolia State

4. KQ6XA

KQ6XA Ham Member QRZ Page

That method works well for one HF radio operating at a time.

K0PV/SK2023, WV1Q and N0CEL like this.
  5. VE1CHW

VE1CHW Ham Member QRZ Page

Could easily blow up your transmitter not selected to an antenna.

6. K5AX

K5AX Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Pascual, You really have to be careful that you don't key up one of those transceivers that has it's antenna shorted to ground. Maybe you should buy a few dummy
    loads you could switch in. That would be a lot better.

When I got out of the Navy, a long time ago, I went out and got a First Class Radiotelegraph License (with all the endorsements), and hired on at a marine coast
    ship-to-shore C-W station for a while.

We ran 8 KW on 468- and 500-Khz. Some of us wondered about what it would take to knock the front end out of a Drake R4A receiver which were muting during
    transmit, and we wanted to have some QSK on 500-Khz. We had no problems with any receiving antennas that were about 150 - 300 feet away, so we hooked
    the R4A up to 450 foot long vertical receiving antenna that was only 50 feet away from the 600 foot 500 Khz tower with 8 KW R-F on it.

We just wanted to see if we could blow the front end back-to-back protection diodes in the R4A. And they did finally blow, but not until it was tuned EXACTLY
    to 500.000 Khz (and I mean right smack dab on 500 like within 10 Hertz), and on the antenna 50 feet away from the tower.

We did it two or three times (diodes are cheap) to show all the other operators and technicians who worked there. LOL.

Not saying you don't need to be concerned about a little R-F, but I have never been able to "blow up" a ham rig with nearby R-F, EVER in over 60 years as a ham,
    Naval Communicator, Merchant Marine Radio Officer, Marine Coastal Station operator, and just being a generally onry person.

BUT, I did once pop the front end of a Kenwood TS590S by accidently applying 50W directly into the antenna. All it did though, was open up one of the windings of the front end filter coil of the receiver. That rig did not have a pair of back-t0-back diodes just a coupling coil. But if it had back-to-back diodes, I'm sure they would have
    popped.

EA7JTT, K2PJC, WB5THT and 3 others like this.