ad: QSLWorks-1

Sad day now no steppIR in the uk

Discussion in 'General Announcements' started by G0WYD, Sep 5, 2020.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
ad: Radclub22-2
ad: abrind-2
ad: L-MFJ
  1. G0WYD

G0WYD Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Well as far as i can tell SteppIR is no longer going to be supported by anyone in the UK, being a user and i have to say a (lover ) of the antenna systems that make i am rather disappointed that its coming to an end,

I even asked them if they would be interested in me being the contact point in the UK ? I am not a dealer but with the amount of tax we pay here for imported stuff it could have made sense for them to have a UK based representative to try and support they users / current owners of steppIR units in the uk,

I have the 2E and OptimizIR controller myself but I constantly get asked what i think of it by other radio users, nd i tell them the un-bridled truth and my thought, they cant be beaten IMO: but now with the lack of sales and support in the uk and the stupid high taxes we pay steppIR in the uk will become a thing of the past,

I wish i had the backing and funds to keep this fine antenna system on the market for the UK hams but it has or soon will be coming to an end, i will enjoy my antenna system and hope to god that i have no issues as i think ill struggle to get parts at a decent price to enable me to keep using it on the air,

Regards to steppIR and thank you for a great product,

Bob G0WYD

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2020
  2. G0WYD

Any UK stations out there who can confirm if there are any uk retailers for the steppIR antennas.

Bob.

3. AE1N

AE1N Ham Member QRZ Page

SteppIR antennas are overrated anyway

KM1H, VK6APZ/SK2022 and K0UO like this.
  4. MM0LQF

MM0LQF Ham Member QRZ Page

Aren't Nevada down in Portsmouth, the UK dealer for their gear still?

I was looking at their 3el 40-6m yagi on their site some weeks ago.

5. G0WYD

Mike is only selling what he has left in stock,

I have been talking the steppIR in the US asking if they need a stock holder in the UK as i would be willing to be that person but it seems they are not interested in doing so, a sad day really as i have the 2 element and the new OptimizIR costing over £1000 with it and its a cracking antenna. The costs of shipping from the USA is massive and then the tax on it at this end kills the antennas and their spares, so to have a stock here to me would make sense but it seems to be not worth it to steppIR.

What a shame, but thats business and as you would expect with the UK being a very small market for them its possibly not worth worrying about,

Bob.

6. MI0GTA

MI0GTA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Is it a case of Brexit bites UK Armature Radio in the ass

7. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The decline in value of Sterling relative to the Dollar won't have helped but the market for the product is so tiny it doesn't really make a difference, however sad it is for SteppIR owners. UK amateurs in the round have probably been hurt far more by the surges in copper prices (which have nothing to do with Brexit outside of exchange rate factors).

M7PKW and MI0GTA like this.
  8. MI0GTA

MI0GTA XML Subscriber QRZ Page

Not just the surge in copper prices....
    Have you seen the prices of a used rig from a UK dealer lately

Dick Turpin had the decency and wore a mask

M7PKW likes this.
  9. M0TTQ

M0TTQ Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The dealers would argue though that there isn't much second-hand stock about and what they have is turning over, so it's a genuine market price. I don't really get why people take quite a small saving over a new rig, especially at the bottom and middle of the range where there is real "compression" of the price differential. I suppose when there is some scarcity of new HF radios people who "fancy a change" or novelty will pay a premium. I wonder how many IC705s will actually end up on rugged mountain tops or doing POTA/WWFF and how manywill be sitting in shacks tethered to amplifiers, albeit sitting there looking very pretty. Edit: and equally, how many of them end up on the second-hand shelves at not much of a markdown!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  10. G8EAD

G8EAD Ham Member QRZ Page

Hi Bob, have the company replied to you?

11. G0WYD

Hi Martin

I have spoken to steppIR and they have all but said they are not that bothered, really sad as I said I would be there outlet in the uk if they wanted me to be and all for a small fee each year to cover my storage.

but the have not replied in some time.

sad I know.

and the offer still stand this end.

K8VHL likes this.
  12. K8VHL

K8VHL Platinum Subscriber Volunteer Moderator Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

It's a matter of economics. Since you feel so strongly about this, perhaps you should approach them about becoming a stocking dealer? It shouldn't take much. All you would have to do is arrange for some storage and business facilities, order and pay for a large stock of inventory and spare parts, hire some office and technical staff, devise and run a marketing campaign, etc. Shouldn't take more than a 200, 000 or 300,00 Euro or Pound investment to tide you over for the first year or two. :)

M0TTQ likes this.
  13. N1IPU

N1IPU Ham Member QRZ Page

I can see how that will affect UK hams in a big way as your usable space for antennas is small in comparison to most. Just going to have to back door it. Like having a contact in japan is handy for us here. You would do better to do something like that.
    I would consider trying to be the parts guy for those who already have them and finding ways of finding the support guy to get what you need. I used those methods in other industries for machine support when the manufactures pulled out of the US market.
    Is it worth driving a van to the EU suppliers? What are your limits to personal use in crossing back in? Where there's a will there's a way.

14. KM1H

KM1H Ham Member QRZ Page

What countries in EU are stocking dealers and how "bad" are shipping rates to the UK?

Bring back the old smuggling from France, Ireland, and a few others up North.

15. G0WYD

the EU are not really our friends at the moment, but all I want to be is a uk link for them, I really don't want any money for doing this I just think to have a great antenna that is not going to be supported in the UK and of course I am willing to store all the parts and complete kits in storage out of my own pocket.

a sad day, but I will keep trying

bob.