S7 to S9 noise - bands closed or me?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N1KTJ, May 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-2
ad: Left-3
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: L-MFJ
  1. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

The key is to keep the lowest part of the wire or support rope above head level. I accomplished this with bird feeder stanchions. Not too many people object to bird feeders. First you put up a feeder. Then feed the birds for a while. Most won't even notice the fine wire and rope you add later. To be stealth you have to act stealth!

KA0HCP and N6QIC like this.
  2. N1KTJ

N1KTJ Ham Member QRZ Page

that is an amazing idea. You are right that most will have no trouble with bird feeders. But you still likely need to ask, even for that putting up a bird feeder. And I am thinking if I should make the wire so thin that it can break with not much force. That way if someone does snag it, they will not get trapped in it in any context.

Right now comparing stealth and the associated issues; with mobile for the car; and to the online radio service that costs $100 a year and $6 to $30 an hour. Its all a trade off in some way.

N6QIC likes this.
  3. K8JD

K8JD Ham Member QRZ Page

All your problems with urban electrical noise and objections to erecting a big antenna on the building roof, just what led me to save my $$$ AND MOVE TO THE FAR SUBURBS WHEN I COULD.
    I now live 30 miles from downtown and have little noise to deal with and plenty of room for antennas hanging up in my trees. Even have a 160M full size halfwave dipole up.

4. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Most radio supply stores carry a 24g black insulated wire under the "stealth antenna" category. Most will never see this wire. That's why it is important to keep it up above head level. I'm more worried about the landscaping people getting entangled in it than I am from an RF safety viewpoint. The space is only inhabited by landscaping people mowing lawns or maintaining sprinkler systems.

And yes...a country home away from it all is good....unfortunately my wife prefers living right here where we are.
    Other than the antenna restrictions I'm happy here also. Especially as I'm not getting any younger and I don't have to do the physical maintenance.

I have acquired a very portable QRP rig and a packable antenna for some hiking trips and picnics in the hills. That will get me a taste of operating in the boonies. I'm looking forward to some mountaintop operating shortly.

5. N6QIC

N6QIC Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Great idea, Also a small bird house is a great place for the small wireless camera watching the property.

N1KTJ, WD0BCT and KA0HCP like this.