S7 to S9 noise - bands closed or me?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N1KTJ, May 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
  1. N1KTJ

N1KTJ Ham Member QRZ Page

Borrowed the CMC-330-1K device from a friend. Sure it works a little. But not like I hoped it would. Glad I did not buy one. Am now investigating a magnetic loop purchase as the next path to take. If I can borrow one from a friend to trial, that might be nice. Also will be taking my radio over to a friends house and testing some afternoon, to make sure its my location and not my poor radio skills.

So far the S7 to S9 noise saga continues. I am trying to be patient with this all, and know completely why many will abandon the hobby, if they run into brick walls (frustrating dead end with no communication) like I am doing.

N1KTJ
    Kevin

2. N1KTJ

so Magnetic Loop Antenna (MLA) inside the apartment on a table?

or push a small plastic pipe out the window sill about three feet away from the building, and drop an ENDFED wire 33 feet for a 20M use as a stealth (very thin wire)?

Likely going to try the stealth wire test and see if it works.

3. N1KTJ

finally had success with a JT65 contact about 1000 miles away. Endfed 20M antenna worked with about 40w power, mounted on the ceiling. Sure I still have the noise, but JT65 seemed to cut through that. Also had some operator error as my radio settings for the microphone was turned down too low (MIC GAIN has to be midscale on a IC-735).

Now on to more experiments and tests with offset wire, and other modes like CW maybe.

4. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

I didn't read the whole thread, sorry if I'm repeating something...

You're sure it's not a problem with the radio, right?

Pulling the antenna and the noise goes away....?

5. W7CJD

W7CJD Ham Member QRZ Page

alignment?

6. WR2E

WR2E Ham Member QRZ Page

OK, never mind my previous post...

7. W1KJL

W1KJL Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

I had a similar issue a while back with my newly acquired FT-817ND. I turned on the radio one day and noticed the noise levels were S7-S9. Didn't think much of it as the bands get noisy sometimes, but this continued for over a week and was unusual for this radio and my location. I decided to pull the antenna and the S7-S9 levels continued, and was perplexed for a moment. While I sat there looking at the radio, I remembered making use of the RF gain knob during a prior qso. At this point, I realized what my problem was... I had turned back the RF gain. Once I rotated the RF gain knob back to full open, the noise level dropped to S0 with no antenna hooked up. LOL, silly me ;)

8. N1KTJ

I noticed this via my RF GAIN slider. Fully open I guess means UP and closed means DOWN. I run my radio with RF GAIN slider pushed all the way up, else the noise level just goes to S20. Did find a nice article in EHAM about "RF Gain/S meter/Noise level" post originated by W0TLP that helps me understand more.

9. WD0BCT

WD0BCT Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Having played with Stealth antennas a lot since getting relicensed my take was any indoor antenna or under the eave antenna or any antenna that does not have a clear shot to the open sky was very noisy. Once I put up a sloping inverted V with fine wire and an open view to the sky noise decreased appreciably on all bands and signal levels increased dramatically.
    Yes indoor or totally hidden antennas do work. But in my estimate...not very well.

10. N1KTJ

I wonder if I can do a stealth inverted V wire off my window to the tree across from it. actually wonder how long I could get away with it before getting some weedwacker-landscaper tied up in it while trimming hedges next to the building.