S7 to S9 noise - bands closed or me?

Discussion in 'QRP Corner' started by N1KTJ, May 7, 2016.

ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: MessiPaoloni-1
ad: Subscribe
ad: K5AB-Elect-1
ad: L-MFJ
ad: Left-3
ad: Left-2
  1. N1KTJ

N1KTJ Ham Member QRZ Page

So after doing even more reading about dealing with noise, am surprised that its not clearly explained that the bands do not close down with noise at the S7 to S9 level? Background noise does not get this bad? That locations, and set up configuration of your antenna are the most significant impact to using anything in ham radio.

Was watching a video test of someone doing PSK31 and noticed that the waterfall display showed almost no noise on 20M. Just wow. My own equivalent shows all noise, and the meter on my radio hovers around S7 to S9.

Just figure that the QRP talent here would know more about how to deal with the noise, or at least educate me about what I will expect to see. Unfortunately my location is top brick apartment in a complex, with likely the air conditioning equipment duct work about me.

But even when I was listening to a field set up radio on 20M with a nice antenna set up, all I heard was noise. Am so new that have not yet recognized that might be the normal for many? That s7 to s9 noise is a way of life, and working JT65 or CW is the only possible solution.

2. WG7X

WG7X Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

Too much drama.

Noise can be a fact of life, mostly depending on where you live. That is the sad truth, and its only getting worse in the cities around the world as electronic smog fills the air.

Where I live, the noise on the higher bands 10-20 is usually fairly low, on the lower bands it used to be low, but now hovers around the S4 to S7 depending on band and time of day. Yes, the narrow bandwidth modes like CW and JT see lower apparent noise because of the narrower bandwidth.

But, when I go down to 80 meters around 3590 KHz and lower, there is less noise at the same bandwidth at 3900 KHz. So guess where I usually operate?

3. AB8MA

AB8MA Premium Subscriber QRZ Page

This current image is quite dynamic, but it may indicate some of the issues encountered by the OP. From DXHeat:

upload_2016-5-8_9-16-57.png

W7CJD likes this.
  4. N1KTJ

so green means good to go and minimal impact? I assume.

5. AB8MA

Yes. And RED means fugetaboutit

6. N1KTJ

do you have a link to these tools? I would like to use them myself. they are a good idiot/beginner gauge to refer to.

7. AB8MA

8. WS7X

WS7X Ham Member QRZ Page

You have identified the first culprit for your high noise in your own post. Your "location" is usually the first reason you have a high noise level. Most of us have little choice about where we live, and try to operate. And RF noise pollution is everywhere, where we live. Been there and I know your circumstances. Try a horizontal polarized antenna and you may notice a little less noise. A closed loop is even a little better still. Also, choose a rig with good filtering. Its really annoying when the only people you can hear are those above an S7 noise or better. Good luck.
    WS7X

9. AA4OO

AA4OO Ham Member QRZ Page

10. N1KTJ

according to DXHEAT web site the solar activity means we are all border line crappy propagation (almost red) at this time. So blame on the bands may be warranted. No use working on noise factors when the bands will not allow much regardless.

Thought I am still going to experiment with JT/PSK modes and WSPR. Plus I will be learning more about CW.