S-Meter Problem TS-450S

Discussion in 'General Technical Questions and Answers' started by KB1ASM, Mar 14, 2020.

Tags:
ad: L-HROutlet
ad: l-rl
ad: Left-3
ad: L-MFJ
ad: abrind-2
ad: Subscribe
ad: Left-2
  1. KB1ASM

KB1ASM Ham Member QRZ Page

The S-meter on my Kenwood TS-450S does not work. It does Not have the optional antenna tuner. Where do I begin looking for the problem? Any advice is appreciated.

KB1ASM

2. WB2WIK

WB2WIK Platinum Subscriber Platinum Subscriber QRZ Page

Does it read "0" or "full scale"?

3. KU3X

KU3X Ham Member QRZ Page

Is the AGC turned off? If so, the S meter will not work.
    Barry

4. WB2WIK

Yeah. And if the RF gain is turned down with the AGC on, it will read full scale all the time.:p

5. KB1ASM

Attached Files:

6. KB1ASM

I believe it's reading full scale with ALC on and rd turned all the way up. I'm trying to attach photo

7. KB1ASM

My AGC switches from SLOW to FAST but does not shut off.

8. WB2WIK

Did this just happen, or was the rig like this?

Does the rig work properly other than the bar graph metering? That is, does it receive signals okay and also transmit okay?

If the rig was fine before and now the S and ALC bar graph indicators are both full scale all the time, did you happen to remove the cover recently?

9. AA5MT

AA5MT Ham Member QRZ Page

sDid you try it in am, or fm? There is no meter movement in ssb. But the meter should still work in receive.

Tom

10. KB1ASM

Here is the history; the radio was purchased new and installed on a sailboat with a remote electronic antenna tuner which used the backstay as an antenna. Everything worked fine for many years. When the boat was sold I removed the radio and put it on a shelf at home where it has been sitting for a few years.

I recently purchased a used Kenwood PS-50 power supply and while I was waiting for delivery, I removed the top and bottom covers to clean them up and inspect the inside. Everything looks like new except for a bit of corrosion on the covers. I did not loosen the two screws on the sides or disturb the face panel.

It is reassembled, powered up and receives very well on SSB and CW. When I put it in CW mode, push the Xmit button and increase the power I get a reading on the SWR graph. I haven't tried a QSO because I know I have a problem and I know that I can't give a signal report. I am currently using a G5RV dipole on 20 meters without an antenna tuner so I'm being very cautious.

What are your thoughts?